Associate Corporate Counsel
Associate Corporate Counsel
Come Join Us!
BARBRI Global (“BARBRI” or the “Company”), is a global learning company dedicated to meeting the legal education and specialized training needs of law students, attorneys and other professionals throughout their careers. Building on the success of its core bar courses, which have helped nearly 1.5 million lawyers around the world pass a U.S. bar exam, BARBRI offers a comprehensive suite of learning solutions for higher education institutions and law-related businesses.
BARBRI, through its West Academic product line, is also the leading provider of legal education materials and digital learning solutions ranging from law school courses to topical overviews authored by distinguished law faculty and award-winning teachers. BARBRI’s comprehensive portfolio covers products for U.S. bar prep (founded over 50 years ago), LSAT prep, curriculum, assessment, global license preparation, online program management, legal education materials (founded over 115 years ago), and professional development.
BARBRI Global, founded in 1967, is a Francisco Partners portfolio company headquartered in Dallas, Texas, with offices throughout the United States and around the world.
Based in the Company’s Dallas, TX or Eagan, MN office, the Associate Corporate Counsel will report to the Corporate Counsel, and work closely with our legal and business teams to develop, negotiate and implement a variety of transactional documents and agreements on behalf of various internal clients. Areas of responsibilities will include working on internal policies and procedures for compliance and processes for our Legal Department. This role offers an opportunity to develop and sharpen legal skills and expertise in legal education and publishing.
We are looking for the following specific areas in the Associate Corporate Counsel’s purview to include:
- Support the business and Corporate Counsel on projects concerning Company guidelines, procedures, and risk and compliance management.
- Negotiate, draft and review Company contracts including:
o Contract drafting and review of all outgoing agreements. Includes template creation for sales documents, license agreements.
o Reviewing third party agreements, rendering legal advice on business issues to assist in proactively resolving problems in early-stage contract review and compliance with legal obligations under contracts they may wish to enter into with third parties.
o Manage the contracting process and contracts database for all company agreements, including third party contract review, renewals, terminations. This will include conversion of contracts to a new CMS system. Manage and draft approved language for alternative terms library.
o Limited contract review for transaction due diligence Integration of legal needs of acquired businesses, including privacy program integration.
- Develop templates and provide contracts training, as needed, to business leaders involved in contract negotiation and management.
- Intellectual property support including:
o Overseeing permissions licensing for custom publications, and permissions usage in our content from third party sources.
o Copyright resource as needed for content creation and author support.
o Consolidate, coordinate, manage and file intellectual property registrations and renewals, which include copyright and trademark filings for BARBRI GLOBAL.
o Establish Company IP database of copyright and trademark filings
o Implementation and managing piracy and take-down of illegal use of all Company content for all products across the business.
- Regulatory Compliance, including:
o Compliance with appropriate global, federal, and state laws that are mandated in any area where we are doing business.
o Bring the business into greater compliance with GDPR and relevant U.S. state regulations, as needed. This involves working with our outside privacy vendor and our DPO. Includes setting up internal processes for compliance with legal requirements in this area. This includes overseeing the policy for BARBRI GLOBAL privacy management, research, tracking and updating data privacy and procedures.
o Member of Corporate Security Committee, assisting in developing policies for the organization around security compliance regulations and protection of our data.
o Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders and external partners to ensure that the Company stays up to date with changes in the legal and regulatory landscape.
- Assist the Corporate Counsel and outside counsel as needed in the management of litigation and dispute matters.
- Undertake other ad hoc projects as assigned by the Corporate Counsel as necessary to support business initiatives.
- Conduct all work with a high degree of integrity, responsibility, and professional ethics.
- Current attorney licensed to practice law and in good standing in at least one of the following states: Minnesota, Texas, or New York.
- Must be willing to commit to minimum of three (3) days per week in office and have sufficient travel arrangements to ensure regular attendance to either our offices in Dallas, TX or Eagan, MN.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience as a practicing corporate lawyer, with preference towards skills focused on intellectual property law, transactions, privacy/corporate governance and contract review and drafting.
- Excellent organizational, presentation, interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet demanding deadlines, and manage multi-faceted projects for a fast-moving and fast-growing business.
- Motivated initiative-taker, who is solution oriented and enjoys diving deep into the complexities of an assignment and technology.
- Ability to collaborate with cross functional teams, assess ambiguous situations, and provide clear legal guidance in a manner that is understandable by lawyers and non-lawyers alike.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Internet applications.
- Must maintain professional competency through continuing legal education and educational seminars relative to corporate and business law.
- Occasional domestic U.S and international travel required.
- Dallas, TX, Eagan, St. Paul, Minneapolis
- Remote status
- Hybrid Remote
- Yearly salary
- $100,000 - $125,000
- Employment type
Transparency in Coverage
This link leads to the machine readable files that are made available in response to the federal Transparency in Coverage Rule and includes negotiated service rates and out-of-network allowed amounts between health plans and healthcare providers. The machine-readable files are formatted to allow researchers, regulators, and application developers to more easily access and analyze data.
About BARBRI Global
BARBRI Global is a global learning company dedicated to meeting the legal education and specialized training needs of law students, attorneys and other professionals throughout their careers. Building on the success of its core bar courses, which have helped more than 1.3 million lawyers around the world pass a U.S. bar exam, BARBRI offers a comprehensive suite of learning solutions for higher education institutions and law-related businesses.
BARBRI Global is also the leading provider of legal education materials and digital learning solutions ranging from law school courses to topical overviews authored by distinguished law faculty and award-winning teachers. BARBRI's comprehensive portfolio covers products for U.S. bar prep, LSAT prep, curriculum, assessment, global license preparation, online program management, legal education materials, and professional development. BARBRI Global, founded in 1967, is a Francisco Partners portfolio company headquartered in Dallas, Texas, with offices throughout the United States and around the world.
Associate Corporate Counsel
Come Join Us!
Already working at BARBRI Global?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.