Software Engineer - Doodle
Meet Doodle, the suite of programmes revolutionising the way children learn!
Covering the core areas of maths and English, our four apps create every child a personalised learning experience tailored to their needs, helping to boost their confidence and ability. Filled with thousands of interactive exercises, games and rewards, Doodle transforms learning into a rewarding activity that children always look forward to. By setting work at just the right level, Doodle lets all children work without supervision, helping to boost their confidence and resilience.
The RoleIf you have experience of software engineering or web development, we invite you to apply to join our team based in our stunning new open-plan offices in the heart of Bath. We strongly welcome applications from every part of the community. We believe in making Discovery Education a diverse and inclusive place to work for all. You’ll work within a cross-department small team (a squad), consisting of a project manager, a representative from the product team, and roughly three software engineers and QA support. You will contribute towards the ongoing development of our tech stack and liaise with other teams across the company to ensure that our products continue to be market-leading. You’ll skill up in a number of technologies, with a strong leaning towards web development and front-end development to begin with. Our tech stack makes extensive use of AWS, with the bulk of the back-end supporting our dashboards and API, developed in PHP and Vue.js using the Laravel framework. AWS RDS Aurora MySQL is used for our back-end relational database. We use PHPUnit for automated feature testing and our code is maintained in various git repositories via AWS CodeCommit. Our child-facing mobile applications are built in Unity using C# and our ParentConnect app is built in Flutter. We also integrate with a large number of third-party services, such as Stripe and Sendgrid.
What You Will Do
- To efficiently complete all sprint tickets and bug fixes, as assigned by the Project Manager.
- To design, develop, and unit-test new features in accordance with our established standards.
- To regularly present code for review by the Senior Software Engineer or Tech Lead, and regularly perform code reviews to other members of the team, providing thorough and helpful feedback.
- To learn our codebase and improve on coding skills.
- Function as an integral part of the development team, actively contributing towards the development of our applications.
- Give thought to, and make contributions to, the technology strategy of the company.
- To adhere to the use of all third-party tools, frameworks and systems used in relation to the codebase, communications and work schedule.
- Communicate clearly and regularly with the technical team.
- Request help - either from team members or externally with the consent of the Tech Lead - whenever necessary to ensure problems are resolved rapidly.
- Support junior developers in the team both in their coding and their professional responsibilities as an employee of the company.
- Enjoy being given responsibility.
- At ease with communicating clearly and regularly across technical teams and the company in general.
- A passion for education and learning - both for yourself and for others.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Keen to learn.
- Have a desire to keep abreast of current changes and trends in technology, and leading best practice Work well as part of a team.
- Minimum graduate level or equivalent, ideally with some relevant industry experience in software engineering or website development.
- Familiarity with Vue.js (or other similar front-end frameworks).
- Familiarity with Laravel (or other similar PHP frameworks).
- An understanding of, or interest in, web accessibility and best practices.
- An interest/awareness of the importance of UX and digital product design.
- Familiarity with Figma.
- Legal right to work in the United Kingdom.
- 28 days holiday a year plus bank holidays.
- Private medical insurance.
- Life assurance.
- Generous pension.
- Flexi-time working, the ability to work from home up to two days per week.
- Complimentary breakfast, drinks and snack options.
- Regular socials.
- Income protection policy.
- Bike to work scheme.
- Employee Assistance Programme.
Discovery Education is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery Education is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.