Software Engineer - Usage Processing
Kobalt is one of the world’s largest, most innovative music companies, using technology to power creative freedom, transparency, ownership and control for artists, songwriters, publishers, and labels.
Founded in 2000 by Swedish entrepreneur Willard Adhritz, the startup built a platform to maximise efficiency, accuracy, and transparency across the billions of micro-payments collected in today’s highly complex digital world. As the traditional music companies fought technology and contracted, Kobalt embraced it and grew, building an infrastructure and world-class creative team purposely designed to usher in the streaming era, along with a more fair, rewarding music business for creators. Our technology enables them to access royalty payments 4x faster while also maximising the royalty collection amounts.
With over 400 eployees in 12 offices around the world, Kobalt today represents over 31,000 artists and songwriters, 700,000 songs and 600 publishing companies. Kobalt is proud to work with artists, songwriters, and companies like Childish Gambino, Max Martin, Paul McCartney and MPL Communications, Disney Music Group, and many more.
Kobalt continues to grow 3x faster than the market and as such has a continuous focus on scaling out its systems, products and services to cope with the increasing demand. One of the key opportunities for Kobalt is to address the masses of songwriters that are reasonably early in their careers and as such struggle to get representation from strong publishers. As most publishers depend on primarily manual processes, the cost of service usually outweighs the revenue potential that those songwriters would generate. Through technology, Kobalt aims to reduce the cost of service for each individual songwriter, making it viable to support large numbers of songwriters at a marginal cost.
Who is the Usage Processing Team?
- The Usage Processing team is responsible for building systems able to process billions of usage data entries from streaming services and understand where our catalogue has been used, so our clients can get their well-deserved money.
- The team is responsible for designing and implementing cloud based systems capable of scaling for future growth. They aim to remove human interaction points from the processing pipeline, as well as reduce the chances of error in critical systems
- The team ensures that processing is as fast, efficient, scalable and as cost-effective as possible.
Team Tech Stack:
- Mainly Java (Spring Boot) 11 and above, Kafka for messaging, Some Scala, Spark
- AWS Services including: ECS, S3, SAM, EMR, AWS Transfer, DMS, EKS, MSK, Athena, RDS.
- Terraform, CircleCI, GitHub, Docker, Datadog, Gradle, Postgres, Oracle
- Domain driven design, hexagonal architecture, event driven design
- A group of systems that can calculate, for billions of usage entries, the percentage of the relevant songs we should collect. Taking a legacy oracle batch process and rewriting it into a modern, even streaming process using java microservices.
What you will bring:
- Experience in software engineering (we use Java, but we're open to all backgrounds) and you're excited about solving complex challenges.
- An interest in large scale data processing.
- Good knowledge of cloud platforms, e.g. AWS/ GCP/ Azure.
- Some proficiency in SQL.
- Exposure to CI/CD pipelines and test automation (unit, integration, end to end).
- Interest in programing and architecture patterns
- Aspiration for clean coding and architecture
- Excitement to learn and adapt new technologies
What does success look like:
- Actively participate in defining and building data-driven solutions
- Contribute to the exploration of new technologies including analytics engines, databases and data warehouses
- Practice a DevOps culture that has CI/CD & automation within the team
- Positively contributes to continuous technical development of team & department peers
What do we offer:
- Competitive Salary: Discuss with the Talent Partner.
- Flexible working. KTech operates with a hybrid working policy (fully remote possible).
- 25 days annual leave.
- 1 wellbeing day per quarter.
- Half day summer Fridays (July and August).
- Christmas closure.
- Meeting free Fridays afternoon outside of the summer months. We use this as dedicated learning time.
- 5% pension contribution.
- Health Insurance.
Interview Process and our commitments to you:
- Recruiter Call (30mins)
- Technical Screening Call (60 mins)
- Final Interview - Pairing, White Board Exercise & Culture (120 mins)
We are committed to completing the process in 2 working weeks and are willing to be flexible to meet the candidates requirements.
We are also committed to providing feedback on each interview no longer than 48hrs after the interview via email, telephone call or a ZOOM.