Software Engineering Manager - Royalties
Location: Ireland (Dublin + Remote in Ireland)
Kobalt is one of the world’s largest, most innovative music companies, using technology to power creative freedom, transparency, ownership and control for artists, songwriters, publishers, and labels.
As an Engineering Manager at Kobalt Music, you will work alongside a peer group of senior technologists and business leaders on a mission to change how musicians and artists are represented in the music industry.
Working closely with the Senior Manager, you will support building a diverse, highly efficient and highly-skilled engineering team aligned to Kobalt’s core business units. You will be passionate about empowering people and supporting your team and individuals in meeting their full potential. You will be pragmatic about technologies and have a natural curiosity.
This is a unique opportunity to be hands-on with both the team and the technology while helping shape the core structure of a rapidly scaling organisation and have a tangible impact on the future of music.
About the royalties area, for the past few years we’ve been modernising and scaling royalty processing & reporting at Kobalt. This is an area that deals with large amounts of data and faces engineering challenges constantly.
The Royalty Pipeline team develops and maintains the new processing pipeline that ingests royalties from third party services like Spotify and creates payments that go to our artists. Today, roughly half of Kobalt’s royalties flow through the new platform and the immediate focus is on completing this migration.
From the tech side we extensively use AWS, Kafka, Kubernetes, CI/CD, Java, Terraform and monitoring.
- You will build, develop and lead a small to medium-sized team
- Responsible for setting direction at the team level and linking team goals to wider BU and organisational strategy
- Responsible for managing project priorities, resources, relationships and partner teams/vendors
- Identify work/process efficiencies
- Create a sustainable work environment for members with measurable results
- Technical accountability - be able to assess and choose the right technologies for the problems in question
- Converts the plan into specific actions and assign resources
- Customer-first mindset and obsessed with building and maintaining trust with both internal and external customers
- Facilitates development-driven work environment through effective leadership style - consistency, follow-ups etc
- Creates a sustainable work environment for members with measurable results
- Develops and empowers technical experts (IC) within the team
- Drive performance standards, build and motivate high-performing teams through effective performance management
- Ability to share expertise and promote diversity while navigating a complex organisation
- Facilitate teams and functional alignment to improve workflow and collaboration
- You will be an inspiring team leader with a strong sense of influence with your team, peers and stakeholders
What does success look like:
- You will be partnering with product and delivery manager counterparts to articulate and deliver a technical roadmap that meets current needs but supports us to scale & grow for the future
- You will support building & leading a high-performing engineering capability for your area, both hiring, growing & retaining great people and instilling great ways of working
- You’ll be responsible for day-to-day operational excellence, including dealing with incidents & outages and ensuring the team can be reactive as well as proactive when incidents arise.
- You’ll be proactive in exploring and implementing new technologies and ways of working to ensure we’re staying current and innovating
- You will work closely and collaborate with the Product team
- You will work closely with commercial stakeholders to ensure that goals are continuously aligned, and productivity is on track whilst always striving to achieve deeper business relationships for the long term
What do we offer:
- Salary Range: Discuss with the Talent Partner.
- Flexible working. KTech operates with a hybrid working policy (fully remote possible).
- 25 days annual leave.
- 1 well-being day per quarter.
- Half-day summer Fridays (July and August).
- Christmas closure.
- Meeting free Fridays afternoons outside of the summer months. We use this as dedicated learning time.
- 5% pension contribution.
- Health Insurance.
Founded in 2000 by Swedish entrepreneur Willard Adhitz, the startup built a platform to maximize efficiency, accuracy, and transparency across the billions of micro-payments collected in today’s highly complex digital world. As the traditional music companies fought technology and contracted, Kobalt embraced it and grew, building an infrastructure and world-class creative team purposely designed to usher in the streaming era, along with a more fair, rewarding music business for creators. Our technology enables them to access royalty payments 4x faster while also maximising the royalty collection amounts.
With over 400 employees in 12 offices around the world, Kobalt today represents over 31,000 artists and songwriters, 700,000 songs and 600 publishing companies. Kobalt is proud to work with artists, songwriters, and companies like Childish Gambino, Max Martin, Paul McCartney and MPL Communications, Disney Music Group, and many more.
Kobalt continues to grow 3x faster than the market and has a continuous focus on scaling out its systems, products and services to cope with the increasing demand. One of the key opportunities for Kobalt is to address the masses of songwriters that are reasonably early in their careers and as such struggle to get representation from strong publishers. As most publishers depend primarily on manual processes, the cost of service usually outweighs the revenue potential that those songwriters would generate. Through technology, Kobalt aims to reduce the cost of service for each individual songwriter, making it viable to support large numbers of songwriters at a marginal cost.