Senior Data Engineer
Kobalt is one of the world’s largest, most innovative music companies, using technology to power creative freedom, transparency, ownership and control for artists, songwriters, publishers, and labels.
Founded in 2000 by Swedish entrepreneur Willard Ahdritz, the startup built a platform to maximize efficiency, accuracy, and transparency across the billions of micro-payments collected in today’s highly complex digital world. As the traditional music companies fought technology and contracted, Kobalt embraced it and grew, building an infrastructure and world-class creative team purposely designed to usher in the streaming era, along with a more fair, rewarding music business for creators. Our technology enables them to access royalty payments 4x faster while also maximising the royalty collection amounts.
With over 400 employees in 12 offices around the world, Kobalt today represents over 31,000 artists and songwriters, 700,000 songs and 600 publishing companies. Kobalt is proud to work with artists, songwriters, and companies like Childish Gambino, Max Martin, Paul McCartney and MPL Communications, Disney Music Group, and many more.
Kobalt continues to grow 3x faster than the market and as such has a continuous focus on scaling out its systems, products and services to cope with the increasing demand. One of the key opportunities for Kobalt is to address the masses of songwriters that are reasonably early in their careers and as such struggle to get representation from strong publishers. As most publishers depend on primarily manual processes, the cost of service usually outweighs the revenue potential that those songwriters would generate. Through technology, Kobalt aims to reduce the cost of service for each individual songwriter, making it viable to support large numbers of songwriters at a marginal cost.
Who are the Data Platform & Analytics Team?
The Data Platform and Analytics team manages Kobalt Musics data platform infrastructure as well as core ML driven services. These include scalable entity resolution systems used to match our catalogue against billions of lines of listener consumption data, whilst supporting multiple business units with data products & services as well as analyst self-serve tooling. DPA offers a diverse range of opportunities to make a positive tangible benefit to the business and our clients.
Team Tech Stack:
- AWS: Athena, Glue, Step Functions, Lambda, RDS, S3, DMS, EMR
- CICD and automated testing
- Nice to have:
- Experience with python web scraping tools
- An interest or experience in Data Science and Machine Learning
- Large scale entity resolution service, attributing user consumption to our catalogue to maximise claims
- Forecasting to estimate royalties across our catalogue
What you will bring:
We are looking for a Senior Data Engineer to engage across multiple areas; Data Platform, Entity Resolution, Forecasting, Artist Tracking and Discovery. This is an exciting opportunity to work in the heart of music publishing, attributing user consumption to our song writers, building services and data products to support multiple business units including our Creative, Finance and Royalty Reporting teams.
What does success look like:
You will contribute to or lead the development of new data ingestion pipeline and transformation projects and and products
- Applies newly acquired knowledge and skills to enhance their work and contribute to the team’s objectives.
- Proposes new ideas or improvements to processes that benefit the team or company.
- Demonstrates a commitment to continuous learning by staying updated with the latest industry trends and technologies
What do we offer:
- Salary Range: Discuss with the Talent Partner.
- Flexible working. KTech operates with a hybrid working policy (fully remote possible).
- 25 days annually, plus: 1 wellbeing day per quarter. Half day summer Fridays (July and August). Christmas closure.
- Meeting free Fridays afternoon outside of the summer months. We use this as dedicated learning time.
- 5% pension contribution.
- Health Insurance.
Interview Process and our commitments to you:
- We are committed to completing the process in 2 working weeks and are willing to be flexible to meet the candidates requirements.
- We are also committed to providing feedback on each interview no longer than 48hrs after the interview via email, telephone call or ZOOM.