Associate General Counsel, Privacy & Regulatory
Legal at GoTo
The Legal team is essential to our business. While the specific roles may vary, one thing is certain – you will be at the center of our organization and an integral part of the team responsible for ensuring the efficient risk management and corporate controls necessary to support all our business activities. This is where you make an impact.
GoTo is seeking to add a detail-oriented, tech savvy, and intellectually curious Associate General Counsel and Data Privacy Officer to lead its Privacy and Regulated Technologies legal practice group and help scale and improve its world-class data privacy, cybersecurity, telecommunications, product attorney, and regulatory compliance programs. Reporting to the Company’s Chief Legal Officer, this is an exciting leadership opportunity – this position will play a key role in managing the privacy, security, and regulatory compliance obligations of a fast-paced SaaS company with global reach and will involve managing a team of seasoned attorneys, interfacing with senior leadership and executive team members, internal and external clients, and managing external advisors.
Your Day to Day
As an Associate General Counsel, you would be working on:
- Serve as the “face” and leader of the Privacy and Regulated Technologies group—as Associate GC and Data Privacy Officer you will maintain relationships with and provide guidance across the organization to senior leadership and their respective deputies on emerging risks, requirements, trends, go-to-market impacts, and innovations.
- Manage a team of seasoned attorneys, including regularly recurring team and individual meetings, providing mentorship, coaching, etc., as required.
- Provide day-to-day and strategic oversight regarding the continued operation of and improvement to GoTo’s global privacy, security, and regulatory compliance programs, programs, including helping to maintain existing legal (e.g., GDPR, CPRA/CCPA, LGPD) and third-party privacy frameworks (e.g., TRUSTe Enterprise Privacy Certification, APEC CBPR and PRP)
- Assist with and oversee the review of and/or developing, updating, and maintaining of policies and procedures, online or customer-facing resources, contract addenda, templates and contract negotiation playbooks relating to data privacy, security, and regulatory compliance.
- Serve as a subject-matter-expert and point of escalation for customer and supplier-facing contract negotiations related to data privacy and security. You will be responsible for helping to ensure commercial agreements with customers and key suppliers are in-line with new and emerging data privacy requirements.
- Work closely with GoTo’s Chief Technology Officer (CTO) and members within the CTO’s organization, including the Security and Information Security and Governance, Risk, and Compliance (“GRC”) teams on ongoing privacy and security projects, including serving as the primary incident response attorney, shaping privacy and security awareness campaigns, identifying key risk and opportunities, participating in security ISO and SOC audits, overseeing completion of data inventory management, annual privacy audits, sub-processor disclosure updates, etc.
What We’re Looking For
As an Associate General Counsel, your background will look like
- Ability to read, understand, and implement the requirements of comprehensive global privacy programs (e.g., GDPR, CPRA, LGPD), as well as ability to translate and balance practical and business implications against complex legal and regulatory requirements, providing pragmatic, actionable, and measured action items for leadership and business colleagues
- Experience managing incident response investigations from a Legal and regulatory purview.
- Experience drafting, reviewing and negotiating complex privacy and security policies, templates and related contract addendum
- Experience of working on cloud/SaaS agreements
- J.D. from an accredited law school [or equivalent law degree if located in Europe]
- License to practice law in your applicable state [equivalent admission in Europe]
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience, preferably at a technology company, as well as experience negotiating complex commercial agreements with privacy and security addenda
At GoTo, diversity and inclusion are key to creating a thriving and dynamic work environment. Our team of GoGetters is driven to learn, explore, connect, and collaborate, valuing the unique perspectives that everyone brings to the table. We take pride in providing our employees with comprehensive benefits, wellness programs, recognition, and opportunities for learning and development worldwide. Our commitment to creating an inclusive space for everyone, regardless of gender, identity, or background, ensures that all team members can contribute to our success and thrive personally and professionally.Annual Base Salary Range: $190,000.00 - $315,000.00
The above shows our ranges from minimum to maximum. Your compensation will be determined based on your location, experience, and the pay of employees in similar positions. You will also be eligible for a variable pay component and benefits.