Senior Software Engineer, Backend
Houston, TX, USA
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2023
Lucidworks is leading digital transformation for some of the world's biggest retailers, financial services firms, manufacturers, and B2B commerce organizations. We believe that the core to a great digital experience starts with search and browse. Our Deep Learning technology captures user behavior and utilizes machine learning to connect people with the products, content, and information they need. Brands including Crate & Barrel, Lenovo, Red Hat, and Cisco Systems rely on Lucidworks' suite of products to power commerce, customer service, and workplace applications that delight customers and empower employees. Lucidworks believes in the power of diversity and inclusion to help us do our best work. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and welcome talent across a full range of backgrounds, orientation, origin, and identity in an inclusive and non-discriminatory way.
About the Role
The SaaS Engineering team is responsible for providing a robust platform for our customers. As a Senior Software Engineer, you will develop tools and interfaces to automate the creation, deployment, monitoring, and maintenance of production infrastructure. We operate on a large scale using cutting-edge cloud computing technologies and support mission-critical projects that can make or break customers’ success. If you thrive when asking a few quick questions and then rapidly scaffolding and testing code, we want to hear from you.
Our Backend Chapter builds and manages Lucidworks’ core cloud-based SaaS platform, focusing on all of our APIs and data management, and developing distributed systems while maintaining state and identity across the platform. As part of the Backend team, you will be critical to our customers’ success by enabling our internal teams as well as external customers to deploy, manage, and access our services and infrastructure. We are looking for someone who can help move our SaaS platform forward and build on our critical cloud systems to handle resiliency, observability, and user experience.
We are looking for experienced, collaborative engineers who care about the work, the team, and our customers. You will work collaboratively with a diverse community of personalities spread across multiple time zones, leveraging your excellent communication skills to make sure everyone is on the same page. You take initiative with your roadmap, are always two steps ahead of your to-do list, and work efficiently.
This position reports to the Senior Manager of Backend Engineering. It may include occasional travel to San Francisco HQ (with sufficient notice).
- Write and maintain Java services written in Spring Boot (we use Java 17)
- Ensure that we can scale a distributed, multi-tenant data platform
- Develop software to facilitate greater automation and operability of services, focusing on simplicity of use, operation, and performance
- Build APIs and interfaces for our internal and external customers to receive resources quickly and painlessly while making our teams’ lives easier
- Take ownership of Lucidworks’ company-wide cloud-first initiative by developing and supporting self-service APIs and data architecture
- Secure our cloud-based software services by applying best practices to authentication, authorization, and identity management
- Participate in and drive software design decisions; as a Senior Software Engineer, you will often be expected to take the lead on such discussions and solutions
- Engage with other team members in a fast-paced environment with frequent iterations; we follow an Agile methodology
- Work effectively with international development teams
- Uphold the core values, policies, and procedures of Lucidworks
- Java 17
- Spring Boot
- Google Cloud Platform
- Kubernetes (GKE)
Skills & Qualifications
- 7+ years of professional experience in increasingly complex environments, and with increasing levels of influence and responsibility
- Willingness to participate in a 24x7 level-3 on-call rotation in order to help support the services you develop; we take an end-to-end ownership approach to what we build!
- Java development experience (5+ years)
- Experience with public cloud-based environments (GCP is a plus)
- Experience developing microservices and event-driven architectures
- Quality-oriented; we write our own tests
- Results-oriented; you love to get things done
- Familiarity with developing SaaS infrastructure in a continuous-deployment environment (we use ArgoCD)
- Experience working with Domain-Driven Design
- Experience utilizing both Relational and NoSQL databases
- Experience in designing and developing container-based software services
- Knowledge of containerization and container orchestration (Kubernetes is a plus)
- Real-world DevOps experience is a plus
- Acceptable background check
Lucidworks believes in the power of diversity and inclusion to help us do our best work. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and welcome talent across a full range of backgrounds, orientation, origin, and identity in an inclusive and non-discriminatory way. Applicants receive consideration based on the relevant talents, skills, and experiences they offer to our company.
Thank you for your interest and we look forward to learning more about you.
Note to third party recruiters:
We appreciate your interest in our job opportunities. However, we kindly request that third-party recruiters and staffing agencies refrain from contacting us regarding these positions. We prefer to work directly with candidates and do not accept unsolicited resumes or candidate referrals from third-party recruiters or agencies. Unsolicited resumes and referrals will become the property of Lucidworks, and no fee will be paid should we hire a candidate whose resume was sent unsolicited.