Senior Fullstack Engineer, Software Development
Who We Are
NewGlobe supports visionary governments to transform public education systems, the cornerstone of a prosperous, equitable, and peaceful society.
With a comprehensive system transformation platform and data-driven educational services, NewGlobe delivers rapid and dramatic improvements in learning outcomes at state and nationwide scale. Through building impactful partnerships and programmes. NewGlobe ensures that all children have access to an education that will develop their full potential and create a foundation for growth and prosperity.
NewGlobe leverages more than a decade of educational experience and proven impact in integrated school management, teacher professional development, instructional design innovation, technological system support, child-centered classroom practice, and parent engagement -- all grounded in learning science -- to ensure each teacher is empowered to engage children in transformational learning, and all children have the opportunity to develop to their full potential. Every day, NewGlobe supports governments to solve what were once seen as intractable problems, and by doing so, ensures this generation will be able to grow up to lead more fulfilled lives, while simultaneously building economic prosperity for themselves, their communities, and the globe.
NewGlobe’s high-touch, intensive professional development programs, along with integrated school management, teacher support, and assessment software, enable schools to succeed. NewGlobe works within state and national curriculum and syllabi, ensuring all children are empowered to learn their own history, and master local content, while being globally competitive in mathematics and languages. The science of behaviour change and the science of learning is at the foundation of all programming.
NewGlobe works with urgency because youth quickly becomes adulthood and relentlessly because improvement requires continuous problem-solving. NewGlobe is honoured to serve and to help rebuild trust in public systems.
NewGlobe’s work is all encompassing and will challenge you to use your full mind, and heart, each day. We need bright minds who want to be part of building a new globe -- a more equitable globe -- to join us
The Technology Group
Technology plays a critical role enabling us to provide transformative education at massive scale in highly resource constrained environments. This is one of the key elements that gives us the ability to deliver radically impactful programmes, creating brighter futures for a generation of children across the world each day. Technology spans several key functions, including product management, business intelligence, software development and IT operations.
Working with us, passionate technologists have a chance to directly change the world. No kidding.
Software Development Department
The software development department handles all aspects of delivery related to our custom software applications and services - everything that it takes to turn an idea into working software and delivering value to our users. The department is structured into cross-functional, self-organising teams that work together on projects, short and long, alongside product designers and key business stakeholders
About the Role
Technology at NewGlobe is a highly complex, vertically-integrated affair, with systems supporting an ever expanding range of functions and countries, and crossing between software development, IT operations, academy operations, and logistics/supply chain. At the same time, our teams run lean and things change fast – governments make policy decisions that affect us, launching new countries is a frenetic affair, and we still need to evolve our core technology offering.
We are looking for a full time Senior Full-Stack Engineer, Software Development to join our new Hyderabad-based cross-functional software development team, which will participate in building the software that powers and improves efficiency to enhance our competitive advantage. This person should be familiar with design and implementation issues specific to a data driven, highly scalable environments and be able to handle such issues with flexibility and ingenuity. The ideal candidate will have a strong customer focus, a proven track record of delivering high-quality products in a continuous delivery environment, and an appreciation for clean and simple code. NewGlobe especially values “T-shaped” team members – individuals with deep expertise in particular areas, but comfortable working across all parts of the technology stack.
What You Will Do
- Assume ownership over the server-side architecture of the NewGlobe software platforms.
- Design, implement, and support new products and features.
- Analyse and improve the server-side architecture with a focus on maintainability and scalability.
- Mentor and guide junior engineers, including performing code reviews.
- Collaborate with project sponsors to elaborate requirements and facilitate trade-offs that maximise customer value.
- Work with product and development teams to establish overall technical direction and product strategy.
What You Should Have
- You have a BA/BS in Computer Science or related technical field
- You have 6+ years of enterprise software development experience
- You are comfortable recommending and advocating for enterprise architectural best practices for highly-available, scalable, and reliable implementations
- You have direct experience integrating off-the-shelf and custom built software, and understand the trade-offs between building and buying software.
- You function well in a fast-paced, informal environment where constant change is the norm and the bar for quality is set high
- You have enterprise-level experience with continuous delivery practices and tools (e.g Jenkins, Bamboo, GoCD, Octopus)
- Proficiency in test-driven development (TDD) and/or behaviour driven development (BDD) is required.
- You are in expert in four or more of the following areas and interested in learning the rest:
- Web services (esp. WebAPI or NancyFx; Richardson L2+)
- Cloud environments (esp. AWS) and architectures/implementations (e.g. CQRS/ES, circuit breakers, messaging, etc.)
- Enterprise application performance monitoring (e.g. E.L.K., Nagios, NewRelic, Riverbed)
- System security (e.g. OWASP, OAuth)
- Infrastructure-as-Code (e.g. Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Docker, boxstarter, chocolatey/WinRM/powershell)
- MS SQL Server/T-SQL
- You must have worked in an agile delivery environment and understand not only the mechanics, but also the underlying motivations
- NewGlobe is primarily a .NET shop (server-side), so experience in this area is preferable; however, NewGlobe also values developers with diverse experience, so serious exposure to other languages and ecosystems (e.g. NodeJS, Ruby, functional languages, NoSQL DBs) is a bonus
- NewGlobe is a strong supporter of open source projects – familiarity with OSS projects is a plus; contributions to open source projects is a big plus
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A networking mastermind – You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas. You have an existing network from prior experience in the country, preferably in the regulatory, education, or business sectors.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, NewGlobe works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience,
- A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.