Senior DevOps Engineer, Software Development
Who We Are - About NewGlobe
NewGlobe is working with visionary governments around the world to dramatically improve the quality of basic education. Founded in 2007, we partner with governments to provide integrated school management, teacher professional development, instructional design innovation, technological system support, child-centered classroom practice, and parent engagement -- all grounded in learning science -- to ensure each teacher is empowered to engage children in transformational learning, Our data-driven approach has been validated by a Nobel-winning researcher and recognition by international leaders in Education. We imagine a world where all children can access an education that unlocks their full potential.
We need bright minds who want to be part of building a new globe -- a more equitable globe -- to join us. More information: newglobe.education
Technology plays a critical role enabling us to provide transformative education at massive scale in highly resource constrained environments. This is one of the key elements that gives us the ability to deliver radically impactful programmes, creating brighter futures for a generation of children across the world each day. Technology spans several key functions, including product management, business intelligence, software development and IT operations.
Working with us, passionate technologists have a chance to directly change the world.
Software Development Department
The software development department handles all aspects of delivery related to our custom software applications and services - everything that it takes to turn an idea into working software and delivering value to our users. The department is structured into cross-functional, self-organizing teams that work together on projects, short and long, alongside product designers and key business stakeholders.
About the Role
All our teams run lean and need to cover a lot of ground - while pupil growth is exponential, the tech department’s size grows only very slightly. Enter automation, which gives us the leverage to balance supporting the systems that already teach hundreds of thousands of kids each day with our need to rapidly evolve our core technology offering.
At NewGlobe, our teams are self-organizing and autonomous cross-functional - meaning that a given software development team is responsible for everything needed to deliver a product, from design through deployment into production - we don’t have separate teams for testing and deployment. If you’re looking to be a gatekeeper, NewGlobe will not be right for you. If you’re looking to tell other people what to do or have someone else tell you what to do, NewGlobe is not your next company.
On the other hand, if you’re all about being an enabler of teams, about curiosity and innovation, and more than anything, about automation and repeatability, then NewGlobe might just be your next gig. If you get energy from being both a thought leader and also a peer and collaborator, NewGlobe might well be for you.
We’ve already got hundreds of build pipelines building and deploying our cloud-native microservices and applications to our AWS data centers, with more and more of them running in Docker containers - so we’re not at the beginning of our journey… but we are at the point of where we need to bring in someone to take us to the next level.
This role reports to the VP of Software Development, but will also work closely with the IT Operations teams and be an important connector between departments.
What You Will Do
- More than anything, evangelize a culture of automation and repeatability across all our tech teams and departments - and then get your hands dirty working directly with our teams to make it a reality
- Own, maintain, and evolve our continuous delivery platforms, ensuring we’ve got the right tools and platforms - and that we’re making the best use of them to meet our needs
- Look after the continuous delivery infrastructure, ensuring high availability and reliability, while also being cost sensitive
- Help resolve “works on my machine” automated testing issues by pairing with our QA engineers and software developers to run down environmental, network, or other complicating factors
- Review, improve, and define our server provisioning process (by the way, we currently use masterless Puppet… mostly)
- Collaborate with software and IT infrastructure teams to design and implement our next-generation deployment architecture, with scalability in mind - clustering, autoscaling, blue-green deployments
- Design, build and improve our production monitoring and alerting capabilities.
- Firefight production issues when needed.
What You Should Have
- Should be able to solve problems occurring with our highly available production systems and build solutions and automation to prevent them from happening again;
- Experience in Site Reliability, building, Release, and maintain complex and scalable systems
- Solid experience in C# and .NET environments is highly preferred
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code technologies;
- Hands-on experience in a couple of Code as Infrastructure tools (Puppet, Chef, Ansible, etc.)
- Experience with AWS or other public cloud services
- Solid foundation in Linux administration and troubleshooting;
- Additional experience in Kubernetes, Networking, Security or Storage is desirable;
- Monitoring/observability technologies like Prometheus, Graphite, Grafana, Kibana, and Elasticsearch
- 3+ years of commercial DevOps experience at the enterprise level. 5+ years overall commercial software experience at the enterprise level
- Hands-on experience across at least a couple of continuous delivery platforms (e.g. Jenkins, Go.CD, CircleCI, TFS, Octopus). We are using GO.CD at NewGlobe.
- Experience in containerization (Docker) and containerization infrastructure (Kubernetes, DockerSwarm, etc.)
- Expertise in Windows and Linux, fluency with Bash or PowerShell.
What We Offer
- The opportunity to make a difference for children every day at a proven, internationally recognized, mission-driven company.
- Flexible hybrid working arrangement.
- Take the lead and help us grow our engineering team
- The opportunity to work on challenging and innovative projects
- 1-week / quarter - work remotely from anywhere.
Values of Successful Employees at NewGlobe
We are looking for new joiners who are energized by our mission and share our values.
Detailed doers, creative problem-solvers, relentless advocates, malleable learners, data-driven decision-makers and curious investigators do well at NewGlobe.
Learn more about our values and how to succeed as a job-seeker at NewGlobe on our LinkedIn page.