Data Engineer, Data Platform Team
Data Engineer, Data Platform teams
Who We Are - About NewGlobe
NewGlobe is working with visionary governments around the world to dramatically improve the quality of basic education. Founded in 2007, we partner with governments to provide integrated school management, teacher professional development, instructional design innovation, technological system support, child-centered classroom practice, and parent engagement -- all grounded in learning science -- to ensure each teacher is empowered to engage children in transformational learning, Our data-driven approach has been validated by a Nobel-winning researcher and recognition by international leaders in Education. We imagine a world where all children can access an education that unlocks their full potential.
We need bright minds who want to be part of building a new globe -- a more equitable globe -- to join us. More information: newglobe.education
Technology plays a critical role enabling us to provide transformative education at massive scale in highly resource constrained environments. This is one of the key elements that gives us the ability to deliver radically impactful programmes, creating brighter futures for a generation of children across the world each day. Technology spans several key functions, including product management, business intelligence, software development and IT operations.
Working with us, passionate technologists have a chance to directly change the world.
Software Development Department
The software development department handles all aspects of delivery related to our custom software applications and services - everything that it takes to turn an idea into working software and delivering value to our users. The department is structured into cross-functional, self-organizing teams that work together on projects, short and long, alongside product designers and key business stakeholders.
About the Role
NewGlobe has been data-driven from its inception, using a build-measure-learn approach to all aspects of service delivery. As a scale model business, we have an unprecedented opportunity to bring statistical power to all aspects of an educational operation, from the academics team using randomized controlled trials to validate the best teaching methods to the schools team understanding which factors contribute to teacher turnover to operational teams striving to improve our service delivery efficiency.
However, we have reached an inflection point where we need to take our data game to the next level. Instead of just providing data to our various departments, we need to start bringing to bear more sophisticated techniques to unlock the potential of our significant data sets. While we collect tens of thousands of data points every term from each of our academies – from the time spent on each page of a lesson to the billing and payment history of every pupil – we are yet to fully realize the potential energy of these data sets.
We’re looking to build our next generation Data Platform team in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, alongside our software and product teams. The role of the Data Engineer is at the forefront of that transformation, ensuring our data models and data aggregation processes are robust, scalable, and ready for whatever we dream up next.
What You Will Do
- Create and test data models for a variety of business data, applications, database structures and metadata tables to meet operational goals for performance and efficiency
- Recommend solutions to improve new and existing database systems
- Execute the migration of data from legacy systems to new solutions
- Monitor the system performance by performing regular tests, troubleshooting, and integrating new features
- Drive technical innovation and lead on new technology exploration
- Improve the scalability, stability, accuracy, and efficiency of our existing data systems
- Contribute to the effective data governance of business data, including data quality, data management, data policies, business process management, and risk management surrounding the handling of business data
- Communicate with business and outside actors to develop requirements for our data platform
What You Should Have
- Strong Python and SQL programming skill
- Fluency with warehouse design and dimensional modeling (star schemas, snowflakes, etc)
- Experience with cloud MPP data warehouse platforms built on Spark, SQL, Hadoop and advocating for their appropriate adoption at NewGlobe
- Familiarity Microsoft technologies, such as Microsoft SQL Server, SSIS, SSRS and .NET web APIs (current systems);
- Comfort with version control, continuous delivery, and test driven development
- Experience or interest in results-driven, lean/agile environments
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a fast paced environment
What We Offer
- The opportunity to make a difference for children every day at a proven, internationally recognized, mission-driven company.
- Flexible hybrid working arrangement.
- Take the lead and help us grow our engineering team
- The opportunity to work on challenging and innovative projects
- 1-week / quarter - work remotely from anywhere.
Values of Successful Employees at NewGlobe
We are looking for new joiners who are energized by our mission and share our values.
Detailed doers, creative problem-solvers, relentless advocates, malleable learners, data-driven decision-makers and curious investigators do well at NewGlobe. Learn more about our values and how to succeed as a job-seeker at NewGlobe on our LinkedIn page.