Lead Data Engineer(hands on) - Data Platform team
Who We Are
NewGlobe is working with visionary governments around the world to dramatically improve the quality of basic education. Founded in 2007, we partner with governments to provide integrated school management, teacher professional development, instructional design innovation, technological system support, child-centered classroom practice, and parent engagement -- all grounded in learning science -- to ensure each teacher is empowered to engage children in transformational learning, Our data-driven approach has been validated by a Nobel-winning researcher and recognition by international leaders in Education. We imagine a world where all children can access an education that unlocks their full potential.
We need bright minds who want to be part of building a new globe -- a more equitable globe -- to join us. More information: newglobe.education.
Technology plays a critical role enabling us to provide transformative education at massive scale in highly resource constrained environments. This is one of the key elements that gives us the ability to deliver radically impactful programmes, creating brighter futures for a generation of children across the world each day. Technology spans several key functions, including product management, business intelligence, software development and IT operations.
Working with us, passionate technologists have a chance to directly change the world. No kidding.
Software Development Department
The software development department handles all aspects of delivery related to our custom software applications and services - everything that it takes to turn an idea into working software and delivering value to our users. The department is structured into cross-functional, self-organising teams that work together on projects, short and long, alongside product designers and key business stakeholders.
About the Role
NewGlobe has been data-driven from its inception, using a build-measure-learn approach to all aspects of service delivery. As a scale model business, we have an unprecedented opportunity to bring statistical power to all aspects of an educational operation, from the academics team using randomised controlled trials to validate the best teaching methods to the schools team understanding which factors contribute to teacher turnover to operational teams striving to improve our service delivery efficiency.
However, we have reached an inflection point where we need to take our data game to the next level. Instead of just providing data to our various departments, we need to start bringing to bear more sophisticated techniques to unlock the potential of our significant data sets. While we collect tens of thousands of data points every term from each of our academies – from the time spent on each page of a lesson to the billing and payment history of every pupil – we are yet to fully realise the potential energy of these data sets. ensuring our data models and data aggregation processes are robust, scalable, and ready for whatever we dream up next.
We’re looking to build our next generation Data Platform solution, thus improving the overall capabilities of our Data Layer. The role of the Lead Engineer, Data Platform will be to bring technical and team leadership for our new Data Platform team, based in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
What You Will Do
- Ensure our data models and data aggregation processes are robust and scalable
- Collaborate with data project sponsors and product designers to elaborate requirements and facilitate trade-offs that maximise value
- Analyse and improve the overall data architecture, with a focus on maintainability and scalability
- Mentor and develop members of the team, from daily interactions to broader professional development goals
What You Should Have
- 5+ years of data engineering experience.
- Experience leading (data) engineering teams (formally or informally)
- Comfort recommending and advocating for data architectural best practices for highly-available, scalable, and reliable implementations; but also the experience to take on. technical debt where appropriate.
- Enterprise-level experience with continuous delivery practises and tools.
- Advocacy of test-driven development (TDD) and/or behaviour driven development (BDD).
- Experience with pair-programming and other XP practises is a plus.
- Expertise in several of the following technical topics (and interested in learning about the rest):
- Fluency with warehouse and data lake design patterns.
- Fluency with various data dimension modelling (star schemas, snowflakes, etc)
- Technologies like Hadoop, Apache Spark, Kafka.
- Familiarity with at least one of the major cloud Data platform providers (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Understanding of NoSQL databases and unstructured data.
- Comfort with version control, continuous delivery, and test driven development.
- Specific familiarity with Microsoft technologies, especially Microsoft SQL Server, SSRS and SSIS (current systems) is a plus.
- Interest in open source projects – familiarity with OSS projects is a plus; contributions to open source projects is a big plus.
Values of Successful Employees at NewGlobe
We are looking for new joiners who are energized by our mission and share our values.
Detailed doers, creative problem-solvers, relentless advocates, malleable learners, data-driven decision-makers and curious investigators do well at NewGlobe. Learn more about our values and how to succeed as a job-seeker at NewGlobe on our LinkedIn page.