Associate, IT Operations
Who We Are
NewGlobe supports visionary governments to transform public education systems, the cornerstone of a prosperous, equitable, and peaceful society.
With a comprehensive system transformation platform and data-driven educational services, NewGlobe delivers rapid and dramatic improvements in learning outcomes at state and nationwide scale. Through building impactful partnerships and programmes, NewGlobe ensures that all children have access to an education that will develop their full potential and create a foundation for growth and prosperity.
NewGlobe leverages more than a decade of educational experience and proven impact in integrated school management, teacher professional development, instructional design innovation, technological system support, child-centred classroom practice, and parent engagement -- all grounded in learning science -- to ensure each teacher is empowered to engage children in transformational learning, and all children have the opportunity to develop to their full potential. Every day, NewGlobe supports governments to solve what were once seen as intractable problems, and by doing so, ensures this generation will be able to grow up to lead more fulfilled lives, while simultaneously building economic prosperity for themselves, their communities, and the globe.
NewGlobe’s high-touch, intensive professional development programs, along with integrated school management, teacher support, and assessment software, enable schools to succeed. NewGlobe works within state and national curriculum and syllabi, ensuring all children are empowered to learn their own history, and master local content, while being globally competitive in mathematics and languages. The science of behaviour change and the science of learning is at the foundation of all programming.
NewGlobe works with urgency because youth quickly becomes adulthood and relentlessly because improvement requires continuous problem-solving. NewGlobe is honoured to serve and to help rebuild trust in public systems.
NewGlobe’s work is all encompassing and will challenge you to use your full mind, and heart, each day. We need bright minds who want to be part of building a new globe -- a more equitable globe -- to join us.
The Technology Group
Technology plays a critical role enabling us to provide transformative education at massive scale in highly resource constrained environments. This is one of the key elements that gives us the ability to deliver radically impactful programmes, creating brighter futures for a generation of children across the world each day. Technology spans several key functions, including product management, business intelligence, software development and IT operations.
Working with us, passionate technologists have a chance to directly change the world. No kidding.
IT Operations is responsible for last mile delivery of technology, ensuring that everyone, from school staff to executives, all have the functioning technology they need to excel at their jobs. Our portfolio involves proprietary, offline-first, cloud-based applications running in challenging environments - inconsistent power, unreliable network connectivity, technically unsophisticated users. IT Operations also oversees the technical infrastructure that supports and connects all of our global offices, as well as the back-office systems that power our customer care centres, finance teams, warehouses, and more.
Within the Technology group, IT Operations also holds the distinction of being the only department with a dedicated presence in each of our operating territories, meaning that is also the key conduit and primary advocate for all aspects of technology, ensuring the work done by the other technology departments delivers on its potential.
About the Role
As an L2 Support Officer, IT Operations you will be a member of the IT Operations global services team and will report to the Global Services Lead Support, IT Operations. This position also includes working closely with the regional IT Operations teams to resolve all manner of technical issues, from support offices to schools. The role offers an interesting mix of technical and business challenges allowing the holder to develop an in-depth understanding of how Bridge International Academies works.
You will work with first level team, third level teams, and third party service providers, to ensure that every case is properly registered on the Helpdesk Tool and documented in the knowledge base. This role will be required to assist with managing escalated customer issues, mentoring junior team members, and delivery of technical ongoing and new starter training, as and when required.
What You Will Do
- Provide 2nd Level incident management for issues registered via help desk tool(s), acting as an escalation point for L1 service issues
- Troubleshoot smartphone and e-reader application issues, such as syncing, application crashes, payment problems, etc., using a combination of phone calls and remote support tools, such as TeamViewer. If the issue cannot be resolved directly by you, you will analyse the issue enough to ensure that it is routed to the appropriate L3 support for resolution and maintain ownership for ultimate resolution
- Monitor servers, network devices, applications, and databases using a variety of tools and reports to ensure the infrastructure is up and running within defined thresholds. When issues are detected, you will be responsible for analysing the nature of the issue and routing it to the appropriate L3 support for resolution. You will maintain responsibility for ensuring the issue is resolved within a timely fashion
- Owns problem management (ultimate root cause resolution of recurring or critical issues), not just incident management (immediate restoration of services)
- Document interactions, incidents, and problems, and ensure the knowledge base is updated
- Ensure all NewGlobe IT policies and standards, including Bridge application usage, information security, and compliance standards, are being followed. Where existing policies aren’t sufficient for Bridge’s current context or needs, work to update the policies
- Identify cases where server and database backups are not occurring according to the defined policies and to resolve the gaps
- Partner with and develop strong ties with regional teams within the organisation to eliminate the silo approach and develop synergies to achieve the organisation’s mission
- Work closely with the global and regional IT Operations teams to create process documents, help desk workflows, and service desk standards and monitoring dashboards
- Anticipate, identify, and resolve problems, applying knowledge in complex, difficult, or stressful situations
- Communicate technical information to audiences at all levels of the organisation
- Be proactive and take ownership of the problems.
- Manage time and workload to meet predetermined service levels
- Provide technical guidance and supervision to less-experienced members of the team and assist with training junior staff
What You Should Have
- Hands-on knowledge and troubleshooting skills for support office IT hardware, including laptops, desktops, printers, smartphones, and tablets. Should include good working knowledge of Windows 8 and 10 platforms
- Knowledge of Service Desk and Contact Centre environment
- Experience in handling user administration (G Suite, Azure Active Directory, NAV)
- Working knowledge on Active Directory (Creation/Suspension of Users, Organizational unit, service accounts and password reset), domain servers/DNS, domain controllers, IP addressing/DHCP
- Excellent remote troubleshooting skills (Laptop, Desktop, Printers, smartphones, Tablets)
- AWS Cloud, Azure, Windows Server-2008/2012/2016 in domain environment. VPCs, etc.
- Working knowledge on monitoring and troubleshooting issues pertaining to web servers, database servers, windows domain servers. Ability to understand and analyse data provided by monitoring tool and do proactive and reactive troubleshooting
- Working knowledge on Linux/Ubuntu is plus but not important (OS administration, Managing User / Group Administration skills, DNS, Name Server, email server)
- Ability to communicate at all levels, both technical and non-technical. Customer-focused
- Ability to perform well as part of a team under direct/indirect supervision
- Good communication skills (active listening skills), documentation skills, able to articulate and speak with clear voice
- MCSE, CCNA, ITIL or other industry identified certifications are preferred
- Relevant Bachelor's/Diploma holder or equivalent education and experience from reputed college / university
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, set targets, engage others, and do whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A networking mastermind – You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, NewGlobe works in volatile, low-resource communities and runs on fees averaging just $6 a month per pupil. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand. Every dollar you spend is a dollar our customers, who live on less than $2 a day, will have to pay for.
- A customer advocate – Our customers – these families living on less than $2 a day per person – never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their customer benefit, experience, and value.
- A life-long learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.