Lead , Business Intelligence Engineer
Who We Are - About NewGlobe
NewGlobe is working with visionary governments around the world to dramatically improve the quality of basic education. Founded in 2007, we partner with governments to provide integrated school management, teacher professional development, instructional design innovation, technological system support, child-centered classroom practice, and parent engagement -- all grounded in learning science - to ensure each teacher is empowered to engage children in transformational learning, Our data-driven approach has been validated by a Nobel-winning researcher and recognition by international leaders in Education. We imagine a world where all children can access an education that unlocks their full potential.
We need bright minds who want to be part of building a new globe -- a more equitable globe -- to join us. More information: newglobe.education
Technology plays a critical role enabling us to provide transformative education at massive scale in highly resource constrained environments. This is one of the key elements that gives us the ability to deliver radically impactful programmes, creating brighter futures for a generation of children across the world each day. Technology spans several key functions, including product management, business intelligence, software development and IT operations. Working with us, passionate technologists have a chance to directly change the world.
About the Role
NewGlobe has been data-driven from its inception, using a build-measure-learn approach to all aspects of service delivery. As a scale model business, we have an unprecedented opportunity to bring statistical power to all aspects of an educational operation, from the academics’ team using randomised controlled trials to validate the best teaching methods to the schools team understanding which factors contribute to teacher turnover to operational teams striving to improve our service delivery efficiency.
However, as the size and complexity of our business has grown, we now want to bring in someone who can lead our efforts to consolidate and standardise our reporting capabilities, establishing a fully realised data warehouse and associated data marts, introducing continuous delivery practices, and partnering with key stakeholders to evolve our data offerings even further. To do this will require someone who can thrive in an environment of “build the airplane while flying it” - ensuring that we’re simultaneously responsive to the short term needs of the business and also looking to invest in the long term health and evolution of the platform.
The Lead Engineer, Business Intelligence will be complemented by a team of three additional BI engineers and analysts to help achieve this mission, and will report into the NewGlobe Data Architect.
What You Will Do
- Contribute to the effective data governance of business data, including data quality, data management, data policies, business process management, and risk management surrounding the handling of business data
- Manage day to day intake of BI requests, including stakeholder engagement, requirements gathering, prioritisation, and ultimately execution.
- Communicate with business and outside actors to develop requirements for new analytical capabilities
- Build and maintain data ETL pipelines that read from heterogeneous data sources
- Improve the scalability, stability, accuracy, and efficiency of our existing data systems
- Monitor operations on data warehouse servers in order to identify and resolve issues and ensure continuous integration of data into warehouses
- Lead the BI team, providing support for the team members in their daily tasks, prioritising work as required by the business objectives and ensuring team engagement and wellbeing
- Provide performance management for BI team - e.g. ensuring everyone in the team has clear objectives, support team members through the year to reach their goals and provide performance feedback
What You Should Have
- Expertise with core Microsoft data platform, especially Microsoft SQL Server 2019, SSIS, and SSRS
- Fluency with warehouse design and dimension modelling (star schemas, snowflakes, etc)
- Passion for Business Intelligence Development across a variety of tools and technologies
- Basic DBA skills (though we do have a separate DBA team)
- Familiarity with version control, continuous delivery, and test-driven development is a bonus
- Understanding of NoSQL databases and unstructured data is a bonus
- Ability to prioritise and execute tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Experience or interest in results-driven, lean/agile environments
- Previous experience with leading technical teams (4-7 engineers)
- Relevant previous experience as a data engineer/BI Lead of (5-7) years
What We Offer
- The opportunity to make a difference for children every day at a proven, internationally recognized, mission-driven company.
- Flexible hybrid working arrangement.
- Take the lead and help us grow our engineering team
- The opportunity to work on challenging and innovative projects
Values of Successful Employees at NewGlobe
We are looking for new joiners who are energized by our mission and share our values.
Detailed doers, creative problem-solvers, relentless advocates, malleable learners, data-driven decision-makers and curious investigators do well at NewGlobe. Learn more about our values and how to succeed as a job-seeker at NewGlobe on our LinkedIn page.
What to Expect from the Interview Process
We have a rigorous, merit based hiring process. The process is designed to simulate the essential parts of the job and introduce you to your role in the business should you join our team. Apply via our website.
We will never ask for payment as part of the interview process and we are committed to a fair process free of discrimination based on gender, race, ethnicity, citizenship or disability.