Director, Leadership & Development
Director, Leadership & Development
Cambridge, Kigali, RW
Who We Are
NewGlobe supports visionary governments to transform public education systems, the cornerstone of a prosperous, equitable, and peaceful society.
With a comprehensive system transformation platform and data-driven educational services, NewGlobe delivers rapid and dramatic improvements in learning outcomes at state and nationwide scale. Through building impactful partnerships and programmes, NewGlobe ensures that all children have access to an education that will develop their full potential and create a foundation for growth and prosperity.
NewGlobe leverages more than a decade of educational experience and proven impact in integrated school management, teacher professional development, instructional design innovation, technological system support, child-centered classroom practice, and parent engagement -- all grounded in learning science -- to ensure each teacher is empowered to engage children in transformational learning, and all children have the opportunity to develop to their full potential. Every day, NewGlobe supports governments to solve what were once seen as intractable problems, and by doing so, ensures this generation will be able to grow up to lead more fulfilled lives, while simultaneously building economic prosperity for themselves, their communities, and the globe.
NewGlobe’s high-touch, intensive professional development programs, along with integrated school management, teacher support, and assessment software, enable schools to succeed. NewGlobe works within state and national curriculum and syllabi, ensuring all children are empowered to learn their own history, and master local content, while being globally competitive in mathematics and languages. The science of behaviour change and the science of learning is at the foundation of all programming.
NewGlobe works with urgency because youth quickly becomes adulthood and relentlessly because improvement requires continuous problem-solving. NewGlobe is honoured to serve and to help rebuild trust in public systems.
NewGlobe’s work is all encompassing and will challenge you to use your full mind, and heart, each day. We need bright minds who want to be part of building a new globe -- a more equitable globe -- to join us.
Leadership & Development Group
The Leadership & Development Department (L&D) Group is responsible for the professional development of all school staff, including teachers and school leaders. Within L&D we design the core content for all professional development sessions, including intensive residential programs of 5 days to 2 weeks, as well as ongoing professional development that may happen in person, online, or through other channels. NewGlobe also has regional leaders in the field (sometimes called “school supervisors”) who engage with school heads and teachers every day, and so L&D must create and iterate the tools and processes for these regional leaders – that is, the professional development, performance management, and intensive coaching that they deliver.
We are always seeking effective ways of ensuring every adult in every school is supported with data-driven practices, and supported to become a leader and mentor to the children they serve. We measure our success through the learning outcomes of the children in the classroom, and overall classroom and school management strength.
We are performance-driven. Since everyone claims that, it’s worth a quick contrast: “input-driven” is what many aid organizations do, they are accountable for the notion that teachers attended training sessions, and that the aid organization believes the quality was good. L&D is “outcome-driven” – meaning what we measure is teacher and leader behavior, and ultimately student learning gains. Providing “professional” quality training, and changing adult mindsets, are necessary but insufficient conditions towards student achievement.
You will flourish leading this team if you are: a team player, hyper-focused on results, flexible in a dynamic environment, and have fun while working hard.
About the Role
NewGlobe spans 5 countries and 2,000+ schools serving 800,000 children. This will grow quickly during the rest of 2021 and through 2022. As Director, Leadership & Development (L&D), you will oversee the development of all professional development (PD) content for school staff, and support the implementation of said PD in partnership with our operating teams for each program. This includes the 25,000+ teachers, and 2000+ school leaders we currently support. It also includes “training the trainer.”
Our school leaders and teachers must learn our theory of instructional design and structured pedagogy, core subject content knowledge, importance of a safe and positive learning environment, classroom management techniques, use of technology, approach to parent communication and involvement, and other things.
The Director, L&D is responsible for development and maintenance of both induction training of school staff new to the schools or programs we support, as well as for ongoing professional development throughout the school year. (S)he will use data from our school staff’s performance and student learning to drive the design of our induction and ongoing professional development, for both the year ahead, and for real-time interventions in school management or teachers’ practice by the Schools Group. We also support data-driven analysis of teacher and school leader performance. We know we have succeeded when each teacher, and each school is delivering on the promise of every child learning.
What You Will Do
- Set the vision for quality content in all teacher and school leader professional development, including:
- Induction Training: the initial ~10-day training that all NewGlobe-supported teachers and school leaders receive. In a given year, there may be 30+ separate induction trainings spread out across all NewGlobe programs; these training sare large-scale events and can have up to 2500 trainees in attendance.
- Training of Trainings: Targeted program to prepare new and experienced trainers in each territory to deliver the induction training
- Role Onboarding: the initial ~10-day training that all new NewGlobe Supervisors receive to begin their roles coaching, training, and otherwise supporting teachers and school leaders.
- Manage team of L&D Officer and L&D Associates to continuously improve content development
- This includes providing them with detailed training, daily directions, and feedback.
- Analyse data regarding performance in training to determine revisions needed to strengthen content and better meet trainee needs
- Communicate effectively across departments and to multiple levels of the organization.
What You Should Have
- A bachelor’s degree in education or related field; a master’s degree is preferred
- A minimum of 2 years of classroom teaching experience
- A minimum of 2-3 years working with teacher or school leader development through coaching or training
- Experience successfully managing a medium-sized team
- Execution focus—you like to get things done, correctly and efficiently; you are detail-oriented, organized, and deadline-driven
- Process focus—you are an analytical thinker who asks good questions about how things get done and easily grasps the necessary steps to make something happen
- Clear communication - both verbal and written; experience coaching teachers within a department or school is a plus.
- Experience working with Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Google Drive
- Willingness to jump in and help wherever necessary, no matter how big or small the task
- Comfort working in a demanding, quickly changing, and sometimes high-stress environment
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A networking mastermind – You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas. You have an existing network from prior experience in the country, preferably in the regulatory, education, or business sectors.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, NewGlobe works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate –The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience,
- A malleable learner –You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely on your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.