Software Engineer, Backend
NewsBreak is redefining the way users interact with local news and their communities. By bridging local users, local content creators, and local businesses, our mission is to foster safer, more vibrant, and authentically connected lives. Through robust collaborations with thousands of local publishers and businesses across the nation, NewsBreak is revolutionizing how a new wave of readers access and engage with essential, locally sourced content & information.
Since our inception in 2015, our trajectory has been nothing short of remarkable. We proudly stand as the nation’s premier local news app, boasting 60 million monthly active users and clinching the top spot in the news category on both Google Play and the App Store.
As a profitable, Series-C unicorn startup, our headquarter nestles in the tech hub of Mountain View, California, with other offices in New York City and Seattle. For more information, visit www.newsbreak.com/about
About the Role
As a backend engineer, you’ll be instrumental in establishing and maintaining the system infrastructure that drives the success of our billion-dollar business, ensuring its stability, scalability and high performance. Your work will boost the success of various projects and contribute to our continued growth and success.
- Develop and maintain functional and stable server applications to meet our company’s needs.
- Gather and address technical and design requirements.
- Write clean code to develop functional backend service.
- Troubleshoot and debug applications.
- Perform UI tests to optimize performance.
- Manage cutting-edge technologies to improve legacy applications.
- Collaborate with product team, data team, business team and to integrate user-facing elements with server-side logic.
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or relevant field.
- Proven work experience as a Back-end developer.
- In-depth understanding of the entire web application process (design, development, and deployment).
- Hands-on experience with programming languages Golang, Java, and Python.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and time management skills.
- Teamwork skills with a humble, can-do attitude.
We offer competitive benefits package:
- Health, dental, and vision care for you and your family
- Top-tier 401(K) plan with company matching
- Paid time off and paid holidays
- Paid parental leave
- FSA and commuter benefits programs
- Team activity budget