Machine Learning Engineer, Video recommendation (Experienced hire)
NewsBreak is redefining the way users interact with local news and their communities. By bridging local users, local content creators, and local businesses, our mission is to foster safer, more vibrant, and authentically connected lives. Through robust collaborations with thousands of local publishers and businesses across the nation, NewsBreak is revolutionizing how a new wave of readers access and engage with essential, locally sourced content & information.
Since our inception in 2015, our trajectory has been nothing short of remarkable. We proudly stand as the nation’s premier local news app, boasting 60 million monthly active users and clinching the top spot in the news category on both Google Play and the App Store.
As a profitable, Series-C unicorn startup, our headquarter nestles in the tech hub of Mountain View, California, with other offices in New York City and Seattle. For more information, visit www.newsbreak.com/about
About the Role
As a Machine Learning Engineer specializing in video recommendation systems, you will play a pivotal role in shaping and enhancing our content discovery platform. Your focus will be on developing and optimizing the machine learning components that power our video recommendation system, especially on modeling, feature engineering, data pipeline and business metric optimization, ultimately driving user engagement and satisfaction.Responsibilities:
Data Pipeline Development:
- Design, implement, and optimize robust and scalable data pipelines to collect, process, and store large volumes of user behavior data.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure seamless integration of data pipelines with existing systems and databases.
- Develop and implement innovative feature engineering techniques to extract meaningful insights from raw data.
- Work closely with data scientists and other engineering teams to identify and create relevant features that improve the performance of our recommendation models.
User Behavior Modeling:
- Build sophisticated user behavior models based on user interactions with video content.
- Utilize machine learning algorithms to analyze and predict user preferences, engagement patterns, and content consumption behaviors.
- Optimize and fine-tune algorithms for improved accuracy, relevance, and user experience.
- Proactively identify and address any issues related to data quality, model drift, or system performance.
- Master's or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Machine Learning, or a related field.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in development, with in-depth knowledge of machine learning technologies (with a focus on recommendation system)
- Strong understanding of machine learning frameworks (e.g., TensorFlow, PyTorch) and tools for data processing (e.g., Apache Spark).
- A strong passion for emerging technologies and a proven track record in analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication, teamwork, and project management skills are highly valued.
- Resilience and determination to elevate our business to new heights.