Head of Data & Analytics
NMI is looking for a dynamic Head of Data & Analytics, with an exceptional track record of success to drive the design, coordination, management, security, and execution of all data and internal tools for the company. The central mission is to ensure that NMI can do more with less by equipping every stakeholder with the data, analysis, and tools they need rather than what’s currently available. This is a senior role reporting to the CFO and will partner with a world class executive team and the Board.
This role ensures that the firm has a world-class data and network infrastructure, security, ERP, and internal technology tools that are "alive" and responsive in the organization. If the company were a human body, then NMI is looking for an experienced, savvy, passionate, and culturally aligned leader who can design, deploy, and energize the corporate nervous system.
You will be responsible for building and leading a team of Data Scientists and related resources. As such, you need to embody the vision of NMI as a leading digital business. The ideal candidate will bring experience in transforming the analytical capabilities of a Private Equity backed company and aid its propulsion to an IPO.
This is an incredibly important hire which will be instrumental to NMI’s continued success. Having the track record of propelling an analytics-oriented organization to one which uses data to fuel growth and profitability is vital. You must be a high-impact doer and thought leader who inspires others and captures the admiration of the established data science and digital teams across NMI. You will partner with other leaders across NMI, creating and executing a vision for data-driven decision-making. For example, people should be able to see how much progress is made in terms of Share of Wallet and Share of Market.
- Support all functions in having the quality data and analytics they need for their roles, at their fingertips, even before they know they need it. I.e., data driven decisions need timely and accurate and relevant data. It’s your job to harness and deliver it.
- Analyze, evaluate, and propose network, security, telecommunications, data storage, machine learning, database and technology architecture: hardware, software, protocols, topology, and strategy. Design and deliver the strategic data and internal tools roadmap in support of data, financial and strategic missions.
- Collaborate across functions and leadership to align key capabilities in the platform and architecture with the unique needs and requirements of the diverse NMI community. Create a timeline for development and deployment of data & internal tools services and publish, maintain, and educate all stakeholders on the roadmap and roadmap process.
- Build, lead and develop a diverse group of skilled resources which may include database design and architecture, systems analysts, systems integrators, machine learning experts, network and data security specialists, project managers, and more.
- Ensure smooth communication and project coordination, both upstream and downstream, among multiple departments involved or impacted by data and internal tools development and releases (keep entropy low!).
- Select and manage key technology partners and tools for usefulness and compatibility by researching any new technologies that may potentially increase NMI’s competitive advantage. Participate in strategic negotiations to align the needs of the business with crucial profitability and legal considerations
- Define, monitor, and report on appropriate operational and financial KPIs/OKRs and metrics for the Data & Analytics group to ensure transparency throughout the organization. Set up and monitor appropriate data and internal tools performance targets and ensure alignment with overall strategic priorities.
- Train the other functional heads on the role and purpose of data and internal tools and assist other departments in using information systems and technology effectively.
- Respond to feedback from stakeholders and use it to make improvements or adjustments needed to the data and internal environment.
- Manage and evolve NMI’s ERP system and all the software components to meet the strategic goals of the business.
- Monitor, assess, and adapt to market and technology trends to maintain market leadership.
- Participate in the strategic development of new partnerships, lines of business, or acquisitions to ensure both organic and inorganic levers for growth are aligned.
- 10+ years leading Data Science activities and organizations leveraging systems to help organizations make data driven decisions. Ph.D or M.Sc in Computer Science / Data Science / MIS, relevant technical field, or equivalent work experience.
- PE (or VC) backed company experience required, particularly in scaling to $500m+
- Background and experience in relevant mathematics areas (Computer Science / OR), especially predictive modeling, forecasting, and optimization.
- Experience developing strategic guidance and recommendations and presenting to a board as required.
- Familiarity with and ability to assist in leading relevant technology selections
- Proven qualities for leading distributed teams across North America, Canada, Australia and the UK (culturally and operationally).
- Ability to manage the day-to-day activities indirectly through all levels of an organization, including Managers, Team Leads, and Individual Contributors
- Familiarity with internal startup mentality and digital transformation.
- Knowledge of current business practices and computing systems, data lake and data architecture requirements, interfaces, software and hardware requirements. Be the go- to source for all things data & analytics related.
- Strong understanding of information systems, management issues, and current trends. Expresses action-oriented and creative approaches to data and tools issues and problems. Lead by listening.
- Background in data analytics, database design, data integration, project management and planning, process mapping, group presentation, leadership, team building, written and verbal communication, analytical and organizational skills and budget management.
- Strong planning, organization, critical thinking, decision-making and communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Proven success establishing strong relationships and working across all functions within the organization.
- Strong decision making and problem-solving skills. A systems thinker.
- Proven experience in enabling a fast-growing organization with the information and insights needed to execute effectively and efficiently.
- Excellence in enabling data analysis and performance/operation metrics monitoring for all stakeholders.
- Competitive compensation package
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Life, ADD, Short-term and Long-term Disability insurance
- 401k matching up to 4% after two months of service
- Flexible Spending Account/Dependent Care/Transit and Commuting Account
- Flexible PTO and Sick time
- Casual dress
NMI is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation or sexual identity, genetic information, citizen status (except those that do not have the legal right to be employed in the United States), disability, military service, service member, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Please be aware that NMI does not operate a license for the sponsorship of those who are not already eligible to work within the US. Unfortunately, therefore we cannot process any application from individuals unable to provide documentary evidence of their eligibility to commence work in the US.
We enable our partners with choice, and challenge the one-size-fits-all approach to payments. You've probably used NMI in the last 24 hours without even realizing it. We’re the platform that powers success for innovative tech created by SMBs, entrepreneurs and fintech startups. We’re creative problem solvers who help visionaries smash through boundaries and think beyond what’s possible so they can think about what’s next. But we’re not just built for the tech savvy. We democratize the latest payments technology so that everyone can realize the benefits of easy payments across the full spectrum of commerce. We’re all about enabling more payments in more ways and more places.
We believe that having a diverse group of employees strengthens both our work and our workplace. We’re focused on making NMI more diverse and welcoming with initiatives like having a dedicated Diversity, Equity & Inclusion action group, diversity goals for hiring, anonymized resume screening, affinity groups such as our Women's network and LGBTQ+ Network, open forums for discussions on diversity and social justice, and measuring inclusion and belonging as part of our regular employee engagement surveys.