Director, Data Platforms & Analytics
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2023
At Pet Circle, we want to create a world where pets and their families are healthy, happy and spend more time together. We make buying pet supplies and pet food online easy and convenient. Over the past ten years, we’ve grown to become one of Australia's Top 5 eCommerce and No.1 in the Online Pet industry. We have an incredibly passionate team, a leading brand, 700,000 customers and growing, and we’re only just getting started.
As the pet industry continues to grow, and our pets are holding bigger spaces in our hearts and homes than ever before, Pet Circle will continue to thrive. As a venture backed company, we have big goals for growth. We’ve scaled incredibly quickly and this is a unique opportunity in your career to be part of an exceptional growth story.
We are seeking a highly motivated and commercially-minded Director, Data Platforms & Analytics to lead our team of data specialists. The next exciting stage of Pet Circle's strategy will see us break new ground in e-Commerce, using a decade of data to build unique models that inform customer and operational decisions. This role provides a career making opportunity for the right candidate to be at the forefront of our pet-first strategy. In this role, you will partner closely with our Founder/CEO and other leaders to identify and prioritise the best opportunities; leveraging our data to enable us to deliver our strategy. As a respected leader in the Data and Analytics field, you will inspire your team not just as an operational leader, but as a mentor and coach.
- Shape the Data Platforms and Analytics plan working collaboratively with other leaders to prioritise the most impactful work for our customers and operations. Our team is designed to empower our business.
- Lead the execution of the Data Platforms and Analytics plan; working closely with business and product leaders to define business requirements / scope, outcomes, timelines and project manage initiatives to completion. There are two key parts here: 1- Deeply understand business requirements (use cases, outcomes), while challenging us to ensure the customer or business outcomes and use cases are clear. 2- Translating business requirements to our technical team in a way that they can execute high-quality work.
- Improve the user experience of our BI Tools (Looker); we migrated to our new tool 12 months ago and are now focused on useability, data quality and training. You will lead this effort to build Looker into a self-service BI tool for our business users.
- Identify new opportunities to generate insights and drive business value, based on our mission and horizons.
- Drive a positive team culture, focused on customer outcomes, whilst coaching and developing the technical capabilities of the team.
- Develop new rituals and ways of working for the team to ensure they are working efficiently and collaboratively, and delivering high-quality work.
- Create a new engagement model with the rest of the business, building strong relationships with stakeholders at all levels to ensure the team is empowered with context and delivering value.
- Ensure that the team is technically capable and up-to-date with the latest D&A tools and techniques.
- Provide data leadership and expert insight at an Executive level so we are extending our thinking and being data and loyalty led in our decision making.
What Success Looks Like
- Bringing to life our mission for Data; you’ll translate our mission into an executable plan which is carefully prioritised to deliver the most value to our customers and the business.
- Developing clear and coherent Product Canvas and Plans for data initiatives; lead these as well as coach your team and business leaders to effective scope and prioritise the most impactful work.
- Improving our ways of working as a team; you’ll champion new ways of working and an engagement model for the Data Platform and Analytics team to drive efficiency, collaboration, and quality, as well as high team engagement. This will likely involve implementing agile methodologies, establishing new workflows, develop or developing new tools and technologies to support the team's work.
- Improved user experience in Looker; Business Users will be confident and self sufficient, effectively able to get their day to day jobs done without dedicated help from our team.
- Strong stakeholder relationships; build strong relationships with stakeholders across the business. This will require effective communication and collaboration skills, as well as the ability to build trust and credibility at a commercial level.
- Technical excellence; our team will be technically capable, as well as highly engaged and empowered to deliver quality work. This will require a commitment to ongoing learning and development, as well as a focus on quality and accuracy in the team's work.
Your Ideal Experience
- 10+ years of experience in data engineering, data analytics, data science, or a related field
- 5+ years of experience in a leadership role, managing teams and projects within an Agile framework
- Strong technical skills across cloud principals, data engineering and analytics, including experience with data modeling, ETL/ELT processes, SQL, and data visualization tools
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to effectively communicate technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders
- Strong commercial acumen, with the ability to think strategically and identify opportunities to generate business value
- You have a solid belief in our leadership principles of; Collaboration, First principles thinking, Drawn to challenge and Designer of integrated solutions
- Previous experience in a Retail/E-Commerce environment is highly desirable
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, with a willingness to actively promote and support these values in the workplace.
At Pet Circle we believe that collaboration and team connection is key for success. This role will be based in Sydney with a blended working arrangement of 2 days in our pet friendly offices and the remaining working from home.
As part of your working from home arrangement we will provide you with IT hardware and an office allowance to support your home set up. #LI-Hybrid
We’re passionate about what we do and our love for pets is the centre of our why. Becoming a pawsome Pet Circler means you’re committed to help shape an entire industry - pretty exciting stuff! We’re a stable, innovative and low-ego group of people who relish challenges and aren’t afraid to do what’s right. Here’s what we stand for;
- Culture first. Every time. Our values of Better Together, Pets Matter, Instinctively Curious and Humble Hearts, Hungry Minds, mean the world to us!
- We’re committed to flexibility and understand that it means different things to different people. For new parents, we offer generous leave for primary and secondary carers.
- Your wellbeing is non-negotiable. We seek to provide a collaborative, caring and safe environment, allowing you to present your full self each day. This includes things like Recharge Days and a discounted ClassPass subscription.
- A focus on you and your development - think learning tools, stretch projects, focus groups, secondments and other internal mobility opportunities!
- Join us on our animal welfare mission: we donate 10,000kg of pet food and supplies per month to pet shelters and support through our communities through team charity volunteer days
At Pet Circle, candidate experience is of utmost importance. We have been recognised as a 2023 Circle Back Initiative Employer and we commit to responding to every application.
Belong at Pet Circle
Our unique expertise unites us to achieve our goal of helping pet parents, pet better. We value diversity in all forms and perspectives, always. Our global team is highly valued for all that they offer, we listen to each other and create a humble and inclusive environment for all to thrive. No matter your background, please apply if our roles ignite an excitement in you to bring your full self to work each day.
See more open positions at Pet Circle
Something looks off?