Senior Frontend Developer
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2023
At Pet Circle, we want to create a world where pets and their families are healthy, happy and spend more time together - and we are looking for fantastic people to help us do that!
Over the past ten years, we’ve scaled to become one of Australia's Top 5 eCommerce companies and the No.1 player in the Online Pet industry. We will accelerate our growth as we continue on our mission to disrupt the way that pet parents discover & shop for the products they love.
The pet industry is booming (it’s a $15billion dollar industry!) and pets are holding bigger spaces in our hearts and homes than ever before. Online penetration of the pet industry is going to grow exponentially in the next 5 years. This is a unique opportunity in your career to be part of our exceptional growth story!
Founded and headquartered in Sydney, our team is now over 700 people strong and are based across Australia, New Zealand and the Philippines.
Our Engineering team is based remotely across Australia, New Zealand and the Philippines. We're a growing company with a lean development environment - we want people who are well rounded and think past the code to see the bigger picture. We celebrate our wins and we learn from our losses. You won’t be criticised for trying to make our product better.
You'll be familiar with how lean development teams operate, working with product managers, designers and other parts of our company to produce the best platform we can. There's no red tape to hold you back, or to hide behind. We like it that way. Your key focus would be to write robust, high-quality code enhancing and improving our Front End applications. You pride yourself on balancing architectural and design purity with practicalities (both business and technical). Supporting and challenging engineering peers will be important to help us reach our potential. We are a Java/GCP Environment with a Front End stack that includes Preact, HTML, CSS, jQuery and Core JS.
- Take ownership and develop our website and tooling
- Deliver best in class eCommerce performance through hands-on effort
- Support a live system delivering 10,000 orders daily
- Deliver best practice code using related flows in Github and JIRA
- Work across teams and contribute to the overall success of projects through communication and documentation
- Work with our Frontend Lead to improve our current and future technology
- Ensure Pet Circle is a responsive platform for customer and business needs
- Deliver SEO outcomes through direct changes and tools for product, marketing and business teams
Your Ideal Experience:
- 5+ years’ in development, with website and application experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent industry experience
- Understanding of the browser engine and related technologies
- Know when to use web application technologies vs website
- Can write clean and scalable code. Know when to refactor
- Can write scripts to automate tasks (bash/Nodejs etc.)
- Clientside Testing experience (e.g. BDD, TDD, UI)
- System and architectural thinker, able to communicate intent and release it on top of a live system
We’re passionate about what we do and our love for pets is the centre of our why. Becoming a pawsome Pet Circler means you’re committed to help shape an entire industry - pretty exciting stuff! We’re a stable, innovative and low-ego group of people who relish challenges and aren’t afraid to do what’s right. Here’s what we stand for;
Culture first. Every time. Our values of Better Together, Pets Matter, Instinctively Curious and Humble Hearts, Hungry Minds, mean the world to us!
We’re committed to flexibility and understand that it means different things to different people. For new parents, we offer generous leave for primary and secondary carers.
Your wellbeing is non-negotiable. We seek to provide a collaborative, caring and safe environment, allowing you to present your full self each day. This includes things like Recharge Days and a discounted ClassPass subscription.
A focus on you and your development - think learning tools, stretch projects, focus groups, secondments and other internal mobility opportunities!
Join us on our animal welfare mission: we donate 10,000kg of pet food and supplies per month to pet shelters and support through our communities through team charity volunteer days
At Pet Circle, candidate experience is of utmost importance. We have been recognised as a 2023 Circle Back Initiative Employer and we commit to responding to every application.
Belong at Pet Circle
Our unique expertise unites us to achieve our goal of helping pet parents, pet better. We value diversity in all forms and perspectives, always. Our global team is highly valued for all that they offer, we listen to each other and create a humble and inclusive environment for all to thrive. No matter your background, please apply if our roles ignite an excitement in you to bring your full self to work each day.