National WHS Manager
Eastern Creek NSW 2766, Australia · Goose Creek, SC, USA · Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posted on Friday, December 1, 2023
At Pet Circle, we want to create a world where pets and their families are healthy, happy and spend more time together.
Over the past ten years, we’ve scaled to become one of Australia's Top 5 eCommerce companies and the No.1 player in the Online Pet industry. We will accelerate our growth as we continue on our mission to disrupt the way that pet parents discover and shop for the products they love.
The pet industry is booming (it’s a $15billion dollar industry!) and pets are holding bigger spaces in our hearts and homes than ever before. Online penetration of the pet industry is going to grow exponentially in the next 5 years. This is a unique opportunity in your career to be part of our exceptional growth story!
Founded and headquartered in Sydney, our team is now over 700 people strong and are based across Australia, New Zealand and the Philippines.
We are incredibly passionate about providing a safe, healthy and productive environment where all of our team members are able to thrive. To help us further strengthen our approach to safety across all parts of our organisation, we have an exceptional opportunity for an experienced hands-on National Safety Manager to join our team as our fulfilment network evolves.
This role will work hand in hand with our dedicated Supply Chain Management team across our multiple warehouse locations. As our National WHS Manager, you will be responsible for maintaining, improving and implementing health, safety and wellbeing policies, procedures and strategies which support our 24/7 operation to be safe, efficient and strive for best practice! As our Safety Champion you will lead from the front and truly understand how to successfully integrate health, safety and wellness into all aspects of our complex, ever evolving, operation.
• Together with our Supply Chain leadership team, set our annual WHS strategic objectives and targets which will inspire our team to stretch themselves and go above and beyond to create a safe, secure and productive work environment.
Operationalise and Embed WHS Practices
• Recommend, drive and embed organisational initiatives that strengthen our safety culture and empower our team.
• Lead WHS consultation through the effective facilitation of our WHS Meetings ensuring all actions are identified, delegated and rounded out. Help guide, develop and support our Health and Safety Representatives to effectively consult with our team and ensure we are addressing safety related issues in a timely and collaborative manner.
• Conduct regular safety audits and perform detailed risk assessments on new processes, equipment or machinery.
• Recommend and operationalise effective and practical WHS policies and procedures in line with legislation and operational requirements.
• Coach our Supply Chain team to conduct high level incident investigations including the development of corrective actions and root causes analysis.
• Liaise with key stakeholders internally and externally in the event of a serious ‘reportable’ incident to share investigation outcomes, provide appropriate communication, prevent recurrence and mitigate future risk.
• Engage with our external drug and alcohol testing provider to implement our strict zero tolerance drug and alcohol testing policy.
• Work closely with our QA and Learning and Development teams to ensure our WHS instruction, induction and training is top-notch. • Make use of the tools available to you through our online WHS LMS and LinkedIn Learning platforms to ensure our team has the skill, will and mindset to live and breathe our safety-first focus and support our team’s mental health.
• Lead our contractor management processes including induction, record keeping and compliance by liaising with our partners and internal stakeholders, in particular ensuring public liability certificates offer appropriate protection.
• Oversee management of our Workers Compensation Claims and injury management/recovery at work programs, liaising with insurers and implementing strategies to minimise LTIs and premium impact.
Review and Report
• Maintain and optimise our recently implemented Safety Management System - Safety Culture.
• Conduct regular Safety Management System audits as scheduled - you will be all over what’s required from a legislative perspective, and Pet Circle’s go to person on anything WHS related.
• Deliver timely, accurate, and quality assured safety performance metrics to the business including but not limited to incident report statistics, LTI reports, corrective actions and in depth trend analysis.
• Update and report on our risk management processes, annual safety matrix and hazard management register on a regular basis to ensure we “document what we do, and do what we document”.
• Monitor our Chain of Responsibility (COR) compliance and support the business to implement practical and effective COR initiatives to reduce risk and ensure compliance.
• Keep abreast of best practice or innovative practices to push the boundaries and deliver an amazing safety culture and experience for our team.
• A passionate and hands-on WHS Advisor who educates and motivates others to apply a safety-focused mindset.
• Experience working in a similar professional warehousing environment - your experience could be coming from eCommerce or the manufacturing space as an example.
• Familiar with and keen understanding of LEAN management principles including 5S to drive a safety focused, high performance culture.
• An in depth understanding of the WHS Act, regulations and other associated codes of practice.
• An exceptional, outcome-oriented manager, well-known for your ability to collaborate with your stakeholders to meet business objectives.
• Demonstrated ability and appetite to drive safety initiatives both independently and working closely with other subject matter experts.
• Thrives in an environment that encourages strong problem solving skills and values diversity in thought and perspectives.
• Enjoys working in a fast-paced environment, meeting deadlines and achieving targets.
• Leveraging your data driven mindset you will be G-suite proficient and showcase strong reporting skills.
• Possess exceptional communication skills and an ability to develop strong partnerships with all stakeholders.
• Entrepreneurial and a self-starter, thinking outside the box to propose improved ways of working, and driving decisions.
• Humble, can-do attitude - not afraid to roll up your sleeves and do the groundwork associated with building and driving a proactive, safety focused culture.
• You have a naturally energetic and enthusiastic attitude, because you love what you do and the impact that you have.
• Customer obsessed. You are a proud pet owner or pet lover (It's kind of our thing!).
At Pet Circle we believe that collaboration and team connection is key for success. This role will be based at our pet friendly Eastern Creek fulfilment centre 4 days per week with 1 day from the CBD office on a fortnightly basis. There will also be quarterly visits to interstate fulfilment centres (Brisbane, Perth and Melbourne).
We’re passionate about what we do and our love for pets is the centre of our why. Becoming a pawsome Pet Circler means you’re committed to help shape an entire industry - pretty exciting stuff! We’re a stable, innovative and low-ego group of people who relish challenges and aren’t afraid to do what’s right. Here’s what we stand for;
• We’re Better Together
• We operate with Humble Hearts and Hungry Minds
• We truly believe that Pets Matter; pets and pet parents always have a seat at our table
• We’re Instinctively Curious. Always
What else is in it for you?
• A focus on you and your development - think learning tools, stretch projects, focus groups, secondments and other internal mobility opportunities!
• We’re committed to flexibility and understand that it means different things to different people.
• Your wellbeing is non-negotiable. We seek to provide a collaborative, caring and safe environment, allowing you to present your full self each day.
• Pet Better with up to 50% employee discount, product sample giveaways and Pawrental leave.
• Join us on our animal welfare mission: we donate 10,000kg of pet food and supplies per month to pet shelters and support our communities through team charity volunteer days.
We have an incredibly passionate team, a leading brand, over 700,000 customers and growing, and we’re only just getting started!
At Pet Circle, candidate experience is of utmost importance. We have been recognised as a 2023 Circle Back Initiative Employer and we commit to responding to every application.
Belong at Pet Circle
Our unique expertise unites us to achieve our goal of helping pet parents, pet better. We value diversity in all forms and perspectives, always. Our global team is highly valued for all that they offer, we listen to each other and create a humble and inclusive environment for all to thrive. No matter your background, please apply if our roles ignite an excitement in you to bring your full self to work each day.