Engineering Director - Supply Chain & Logistics
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posted on Wednesday, February 7, 2024
At Pet Circle, we want to create a world where pets and their families are healthy, happy and spend more time together - and we are looking for fantastic people to help us do that!
Over the past ten years, we’ve scaled to become one of Australia's Top 5 eCommerce companies and the No.1 player in the Online Pet industry. We will accelerate our growth as we continue on our mission to disrupt the way that pet parents discover & shop for the products they love.
The pet industry is booming (it’s a $15billion dollar industry!) and pets are holding bigger spaces in our hearts and homes than ever before. Online penetration of the pet industry is going to grow exponentially in the next 5 years. This is a unique opportunity in your career to be part of our exceptional growth story!
Founded and headquartered in Sydney, our team is now over 700 people strong and are based across Australia, New Zealand and the Philippines.
We are seeking a seasoned Engineering Director with a comprehensive skill set to manage multiple remote squads within an ecommerce business. The ideal candidate will possess expertise in supply chain, logistics and last mile. This role requires a strategic thinker who can lead distributed teams, drive technical excellence, and align technology solutions with business objectives.
Dive into the heart of our operations by leading the implementation of our new Warehouse Management System. This role is crucial in enabling us to optimise inventory management, and ensuring seamless operations in our dynamic, multi-site warehouse and delivery environment. Your expertise will play a pivotal role in enhancing efficiency and scalability, contributing to Pet Circle's commitment to delivering top-notch service to our customers and staying at the forefront of the Pet industry.
What You'll Be Doing:
Team Leadership (local & remote)
- Lead and inspire multiple engineering squads, fostering collaboration, innovation and a results-oriented culture within the supply chain and logistics domain
- Provide guidance, mentorship, and professional development opportunities for all team members
- Implement effective strategies for local and remote team management, ensuring high performance and engagement
Supply Chain Optimisation
- Develop and execute strategies to optimise the end-to-end supply chain, from procurement to last mile delivery
- Leverage technology to streamline inventory management, demand forecasting, and order fulfilment processes
- Oversee the engineering teams responsible for designing and implementing logistics solutions, including route optimisation and warehouse management systems
- Collaborate with third party logistics providers and carriers to enhance overall supply chain performance
Last Mile Delivery Excellence
- Implement innovative solutions for efficient last mile delivery, leveraging technology to enhance route optimisation, ensuring timely and cost effective order fulfilment
- Utilise data-driven insights to enhance delivery routes, reduce lead time, and improve customer satisfaction
Technology Integration & Excellence
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to integrate cutting edge technologies, such as AI and data analytics, into supply chain and logistics operations
- Evaluate and implement new tools and connected systems to enhance efficiency and visibility
- Oversee code reviews, architecture decisions, and technical debt management
Collaboration & Communication
- Work closely with cross functional teams, including Operations and Product Management to align technology solutions with overall business objectives
- Provide technical expertise to support the development of new features and enhancements
- Foster strong communication channels between remote engineering teams and other functions
- Drive Agile methodologies across engineering squads, ensuring adaptability to dynamic supply chain requirements
- Coordinate with product and business teams to align technology solutions with supply chain goals
- Implement and maintain Agile methodologies across remote engineering squads to adapt to dynamic requirements
Your Ideal Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Proven leadership experience in managing remote engineering teams with expertise in supply chain, logistics and last mile delivery
- In-depth knowledge of supply chain processes, logistics management, warehouse management systems (Manhattan SCALE preferable) and last mile delivery optimisation
- 10+ years experience leading high performing Engineering teams in ecommerce settings
- 10+ years experience in development, across Back End languages (Java) and integration platforms (Boomi). This can be a mix of different experiences - able to think full stack
- Experience working with API integrations
- Conversant in a wide-range of tech topics: SQL, HTML, AR, Networking, Agile vs Waterfall, etc.
- Uses testing tools (e.g. jUnit, Selenium) and associated technologies (e.g. Jenkins, Docker) to ensure that developments are reliable and don’t have to be revisited later on.
- Database experience in one or more RDBMS (MySql, DB2, MSSQL, etc.) and practical understanding of 3rd normal form, denormalisation, performance profiling, etc. (data-team specific).
- Uses Agile methodologies (sprints, stories, tasks – typically in JIRA) and estimations at story and project level
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to collaborate effectively across functions and geographically dispersed teams
- Proven leadership experience in managing remote engineering teams
At Pet Circle we believe that collaboration and team connection is key for success. This role will be based in Sydney with a blended working arrangement of 3 - 4 days in our pet friendly CBD offices and the remainder working from home (or the office, if you prefer!)
We’re passionate about what we do and our love for pets is the centre of our why. Becoming a pawsome Pet Circler means you’re committed to help shape an entire industry - pretty exciting stuff! We’re a stable, innovative and low-ego group of people who relish challenges and aren’t afraid to do what’s right.
Here’s what we stand for;
- We’re Better Together
- We operate with Humble Hearts and Hungry Minds
- We truly believe that Pets Matter; pets and pet parents always have a seat at our table
- We’re Instinctively Curious. Always
What else is in it for you?
- A focus on you and your development - think learning tools, stretch projects, focus groups, secondments and other internal mobility opportunities!
- We’re committed to flexibility and understand that it means different things to different people.
- Your wellbeing is non-negotiable. We seek to provide a collaborative, caring and safe environment, allowing you to present your full self each day.
- Pet Better with up to 50% employee discount, product sample giveaways and Pawrental leave.
- Join us on our animal welfare mission: we donate 10,000kg of pet food and supplies per month to pet shelters and support our communities through team charity volunteer days.
We have an incredibly passionate team, a leading brand, over 700,000 customers and growing, and we’re only just getting started!
At Pet Circle, candidate experience is of utmost importance. We have been recognised as a 2023 Circle Back Initiative Employer and we commit to responding to every application.
Belong at Pet Circle
Our unique expertise unites us to achieve our goal of helping pet parents, pet better. We value diversity in all forms and perspectives, always. Our global team is highly valued for all that they offer, we listen to each other and create a humble and inclusive environment for all to thrive. No matter your background, please apply if our roles ignite an excitement in you to bring your full self to work each day.