Senior Corporate Counsel
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2023
Founded in 2005 as the first peer-to-peer marketplace lending platform in the U.S., Prosper was built on a simple idea: connect people who want to borrow money with those who want to invest. Since inception, Prosper has helped more than a million people gain access to affordable credit with over $23 billion in loans originated through its platform. Our mission is to help our customers advance their financial well-being through a variety of products including personal loans, credit, home equity lines of credit (HELOC), and our newest product, HELoan. Our diverse culture rewards accountability and cross functional teamwork because we believe this encourages innovative thinking and helps us deliver on our mission.
We’re on a mission to hire the very best, and we are committed to creating exceptional employee experiences where everyone is respected and has access to equal opportunity. We realize that new ideas can come from everywhere. It is important to us that every hire connects with our vision, mission, and core values. Join a leading fintech company that’s democratizing finance for all!
Diversity expands opportunities
Collaboration creates better solutions
Curiosity fuels our innovation
Integrity defines all our relationships
Excellence leads to longevity
Simplicity guides our user experience
Accountability at all levels drives results
We are seeking a talented product and regulatory lawyer to join our legal department. This role will report to the Assistant General Counsel - Regulatory. You will join a fast-paced, collegial, and innovative team, providing legal counsel to Prosper's product, business and operations teams, with a focus on the borrower-side of the business. Prosper was the first U.S. peer-to-peer marketplace lending platform and is one of the largest fintech platforms in the U.S.
Problems You Will Solve
- Serve as an advisor to the business on legal issues relating to Prosper’s borrower-facing products, such as the personal loan, credit card, and home equity products.
- Serve as legal advisor to Prosper’s marketing, credit risk, modelling, product, engineering, and operations teams.
- Work alongside Prosper's compliance team to design, develop, and maintain processes and procedures.
- Review and negotiate commercial agreements, including marketing, partner, and vendor agreements, MSAs, and NDAs.
- Support in representation of Prosper’s government affairs, including with federal and state representatives, regulators, examiners, and other officials.
- J.D. with solid academic credentials and a State bar member in good standing.
- 8-12 years of relevant legal experience, including at least 3+ years in-house at a financial technology company, bank, or at a top-tier law firm (in-house experience preferred, but not required).
- A demonstrated ability to understand business needs and to serve as a trusted advisor, providing sound, transparent legal advice.
- Ability to balance legal risk with business objectives.
- Business-focused mindset with a demonstrated ability to take ownership and resolve issues with minimal supervision.
- Good judgment, excellent interpersonal skills, and an upbeat attitude.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and a strong service orientation.
- Experience with financial services regulation, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Truth in Lending Act (TILA)/Regulation Z, Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act (E-Sign), and Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA).
- Working knowledge of federal and state privacy laws and data protection requirements.
What We Offer
- The opportunity to collaborate with a team of creative, fun, and driven colleagues on products that have an immediate and significant impact on people's lives
- The opportunity to work in a fast-paced environment with experienced industry leaders
- Flexible time off, comprehensive health coverage, competitive salary, 401(k) employer match, paid parental leave
- Wellness benefits including access to mental health resources, virtual HIIT and yoga workouts
- A bevy of other perks including Udemy access, childcare assistance, pet insurance discounts, legal assistance, and additional discounts through Perkspot
- This role is hybrid and requires the employee to be at our Phoenix office on Wednesdays & Thursdays
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
California applicants: please click here to view our California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) Notice for Applicants, which describes your rights under the CCPA: https://www.prosper.com/plp/legal/privacy-notice-for-applicants/
At Prosper, we're looking for people with passion, integrity, and a hunger to learn. We encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your unique skill set and diverse perspective will stand out and set you apart from other candidates. Prosper thrives with people who think outside of the box and aren't afraid to challenge the status quo. We invite you to join us on our mission to advance financial well-being.
Prosper is committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Prosper will consider for employment qualified applicants who are non-US citizens and will provide green card sponsorship.