Senior Director, Solutions Engineering
SonicWall delivers Boundless Cybersecurity for the hyper-distributed era in a work reality where everyone is remote, mobile, and unsecure. SonicWall safeguards organizations mobilizing for their new business normal with seamless protection that stops the most evasive cyberattacks across boundless exposure points and increasingly remote, mobile, and cloud-enabled workforces. By knowing the unknown, providing real-time visibility and enabling breakthrough economics, SonicWall closes the cybersecurity business gap for enterprises, governments and SMBs worldwide. For more information, visit https://www.sonicwall.com/ or follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram.
Ready to do your part in the cyber arms race? SonicWall offers fun, high-energy work environments at the leading edge of technology, networking, and cybersecurity. Whether you’re in sales, marketing, engineering, product management, technical support, or finance, you’ll have real opportunities to help protect more than 500,000 organizations across the globe. If you’re ready for a career that can impact change — and not just another job — join one of committed and enthusiastic SonicWall teams in offices around the world.
Senior Director leader within the Pre-Sales Solutions Engineering organization, is a key role for SonicWall, responsible for leading two or more regional Pre-Sales teams of excellence, a contributor to the global Solution Engineering strategy, and adjusting its application to the sales regions to deliver the key metrics of success.
This individual is also seen as a CTO for the theatre or multiple regions, a spokesperson for cyber security trends and insights for both internal and external audience.
If you are a proven leader and an excellent people manager in the IT industry, looking for a role that’s empowered, an influencer to our customers and partners, passionate about leading teams to be best in class in the cyber security industry and want to have a platform to grow and develop ideas into best practices then this could be the ideal role for you.
This position is remote based in the country or theatre it operates in and is expected to travel between 30%-40%. This role is very empowered within SonicWall and supported by continuous training programs for those who have a passion for self-development.
People Leadership focus 30%
• Participates with Senior management to establish the global Solutions Engineering Strategy, bringing forth ideas and solutions that create a service level of excellence for our customers and partners, and shape a great place to work environment
• In partnership with Sales theatre lead and Global SE lead, responsible for headcount planning, ratios to sales in theater
• Contributes to defining the Solutions Engineering role and responsibilities and its metrics for success
• Teaming with recruitment, Sales, and HR to hire, onboard talent, conduct 1-1 performance reviews, performance management, and mentoring of direct reports
• Ensure direct and indirect reports, has a development plan that aligns to personal career goals and to the direction of the company
• That each team member aligned to you has the tools they need to be effective in their role, including home lab, software, and an environment to sharpen their technical and professional skills
• Improve Pre-Sales productivity by teaming with the SE Global lead in building out best practice guides and collateral where there is a gap, and leveraging reusable components etc.
• Project lead initiatives that improve the efficiency and effectiveness of solutions engineers and sharing those initiatives across theatres
• Build a culture of teaming, sharing knowledge, trust, and integrity in region
• Foster cross functional collaboration with Solution Engineering peers across theatres, including Sales, Product management, Engineering, Customer success, Marketing, HR, and other key functions
• That the team (s) adhere to the company values, tools, compliance training, guidelines, and that the solution engineering regional reporting tasks and activities are completed on time
• Ensure the solution engineering team is aligned to the metrics for success
Technical Sales Leadership 70%
• Teaming with regional Sales leaders to shape the sales strategy and execution, Solution Engineering territory coverage mapping, headcount planning, ratios, and recognition
• Responsible for optimizing solution engineers’ productivity and effectiveness in theatre or region to maximize the available time, teaming discussions to deliver the required outcomes on time and to the required ask
• Theatre CTO, spokesperson for SonicWall Cyber threat reports, trends, roadmap insights both internally and external
• Work in partnership with the Sales leaders in region to align technical resources to key deals, supporting the solution sales cycle, demo, PoC, with a focus on customer outcomes
• Actively participate in deal reviews, talking to the use cases, sales status, solution proposed, technical risks, competitive positioning, and next steps
• Oversight of RFIs/RFPs, managing resource needs and teaming with extended teams
• Ensure use cases on key deals are qualified and aligned to the solution proposed
• Function as the escalation point of contact for Sales across technical challenges in the field and be the voice back into product management, support, and engineering
• Manage the internal demo pool and lifecycle for theatre
• Teaming with customer success on key deals to preserve relationships with partners and customers and ensure theatre sales leader and SE global lead are kept informed of the status
• Ability to position our value proposition and talk to our unique competitive differentiation
• Build out a minimum of 10 + trusted C level decision maker relationships with strategic channel partners and customers, holding reoccurring meetings with the solution decision at C level
• Lead product advisory council roundtables to solicit feedback and represent the voice for our customers and partners
• Co-manage with marketing on regional and theatre events including virtual and external webinars, podcasts, customer & partner roundtable sessions
• Proactively seek out and consolidate meaningful feedback from regional presales and sales, including customer needs and evolution of product quality perception
• Promotes a culture of teaming with extended teams, working collaboratively with Solution Engineering theatre leads to bring ideas forward that improves the overall effectiveness of the Pre-Sales organization
Characteristics of Role:
• Passionate presenter, storyteller, and coach that inspires others to excel in everything they do, with a One-Team mindset
• Demonstrates a balance of sales, business and technical acumen, and shared responsibility of the regional sales focused activities
• Excellent communication skills, ability to create a compelling proposal to overcome internal and external obstacles, through facts, solicited feedback from key stakeholders, and sponsorship from direct manager
• Directs the activities of a functional area or multiple integrated departments through lower management.
• Requires the ability to persuade others in sensitive complex situations while preserving relationships. Applies knowledge to convince other stakeholders on desired departmental outcomes
• Proactively looks to clarify problem statements as they arise with a sense of urgency, seeks out a way forward and takes ownership of the actions to resolution. This can sometimes include teaming with and leading the SonicWall extended team
• Exercises good judgment in selecting methods, evaluating, adapting of complex techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results
• Leverages global solutions engineering strategy to define theatre focused goals, work plans and operational objectives and delegates assignments to team
• Fosters a cross functional team culture, works well with others, focused on the team outcomes
• Proven experience in selling solutions and working collaboratively with professional services and support to meet the customers outcomes and improve the customer experience.
• Is accountable through team for delivery of tactical business targets
Desired Education and Experience:
• Typically requires a master’s degree with 10 + years’ experience in leading teams or bachelor’s degree 15 + years’ experience in directly managing teams in Enterprise, Channel and System Integrator Space.
• 8 + years with Cybersecurity and Cloud Industry knowledge
• Microsoft Azure or AWS Practitioner
• PRINCE2 Foundation certified & ITIL Foundational certified
• Familiarity with governance and compliance issues and management/reporting solutions and requirements. Working knowledge of HIPAA, PCI, SOX, FERPA, CIPA, GDPR, etc.
• Barriers to entry require committee review.
SonicWall is an equal opportunity employer.
We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
At SonicWall, we pride ourselves on recruiting a diverse mix of talented people and providing active security solutions in 100+ countries.