Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
We are looking for an experienced GNC Engineer to join our team in Glasgow. As a GNC / AOCS Engineer at Spire, you will operate as part of a technical team who maintains responsibility across the full lifecycle of its engineering products. The GNC team interfaces directly with many engineering groups to conduct R&D, design, manufacturing, and operations activities, ultimately ensuring all current and future spacecraft systems satisfy their mission.
Ideal candidates will embrace the commercialisation of nanosatellite systems and adapt to low-cost, fast-paced systems design, development, and implementation methodologies that set Spire apart from our competition. In this fast-paced environment, the design-to-launch cycle is measured in weeks and months, not years!
Responsibilities of your role
- Technical ownership of current and future spacecraft attitude and orbit control software and hardware
- Design, model, analyze, integrate and operate attitude determination/estimation systems for small spacecraft
- Develop and utilize spacecraft dynamics and control simulations, including 'hardware-in-the-loop'
- Directly contribute to the on-board software that implements the attitude determination and control algorithms. (C programming)
- Help maintain our simulator framework and ground side analysis and calibration tools (C and Python programming)
- Design, evaluate, select, qualify and implement flight sensors, including magnetometers, sun sensors, inertial measurement devices, infrared sensors, and/or star trackers
- Design, evaluate, select, qualify and implement flight actuators, including magnetic torque elements, reaction wheels, and propulsion systems
- Be hands-on in laboratory and manufacturing environments during testing, integration, and qualification of flight systems
- Provide support and analysis for on-orbit operations of spacecraft attitude determination and control systems
- Work with external contractors, manufacturers, and internal manufacturing staff to improve reliability, yield, performance, and cost of flight systems.
Basic Qualifications / Experience
- BSc in Engineering, Computer Science, equivalent STEM-related subject, or equivalent work experience.
- Solid understanding of spacecraft (or other vehicle) dynamics and control algorithms
- Understanding of estimation techniques (Kalman filter and its extended variants)
- Experience using sensors and actuators for spacecraft (or other vehicle) navigation and control
- Proficiency developing software using C
- Mastery of C/ C++ software development for embedded systems
- Solid understanding of the systems-level tradeoffs when designing attitude control systems for different missions
- Experience designing and implementing Kalman filters for spacecraft attitude estimation
- Experience selecting, analyzing, or developing sensors for spacecraft attitude estimation
- Experience writing spacecraft flight software
- Experience in Python software development
- Experience participating in spacecraft systems engineering activities, including mission and spacecraft design across multiple domains
- Experience in spacecraft operations, including the identification and resolution of spacecraft anomalies
- Experience creating and maintaining AIT (assembly, integration and test) procedures, software, and systems for spacecraft systems containing hardware and software components
- Experience working with external engineering contractors or agencies
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.
Something looks off?