Senior Technical Manager, SDR Payloads
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
The Software Defined Radio (SDR) payload team at Spire is growing, and we are looking to hire someone to our Glasgow office to take on the role as manager for part of the team.
You will be part of a team delivering the critical data powering weather prediction models worldwide by leveraging GNSS technology, as well as traffic data from monitoring aircraft and maritime vessels, all by using advanced on-board signal processing techniques on Spire's satellite constellation.
Our cross-functional team is distributed across Spire’s Glasgow, Luxembourg and Singapore offices, and collaborates with other teams globally. We are responsible for maintaining and evolving satellite payloads including:
- the STRATOS payload that collects and processes GNSS radio occultations and reflections (GNSS-RO and GNSS-R), and
- the SAAM payload that monitors transmissions from Mode S/ADS-B transponders on aircraft, as well as transmissions from AIS transponders on maritime vessels, to extract messages and metadata.
Spire’s satellite constellation is continuously growing and kept up-to-date through on-orbit software and FPGA updates that improve and expand the payload functionality according to Spire strategies. If you have the drive to contribute to this and to have a global impact, we'd love to hear from you. We are willing to tailor the role to a strong applicant’s profile and experience in technical domains relevant to the team.
- Managing a group of engineers mainly within your domains of expertise
- Planning development activities and driving execution
- Coordinating development, integration, investigations and other cross-team activities
- Being the main point of contact for the team in the Glasgow office
- Acting as an individual contributor within your domains of expertise
- At least 5 years of recent experience as individual contributor in multiple domains relevant to the team
- At least 5 years of experience managing a team
- A detail-oriented personality; careful, methodical, and persistent in tracking down problems
Preferred qualifications and experience
- Software development experience throughout the full life cycle for large code-bases
- Experience developing for embedded Linux targets
- Fluency in C, modern C++, Rust, Python and SQL
- Experience from cloud-based services development and operation, using for example Kubernetes, infrastructure as code and GitOps
- Experience from Linux systems administration and scripting
- Experience from DevOps and CI/CD
- Experience from FPGA development using Xilinx tooling, including HLS
- Knowledge of signal processing for digital communications and/or GNSS receivers
- Experience in HW design, prototyping and testing for RF and digital boards
- Experience in antenna design and beam forming
- Knowledge of geolocation methods
- Strong data analysis skills (statistics, hypothesis testing, data visualisation)
- Experience in systems engineering, covering the design, implementation, verification, and operation phases
- Masters or PhD degree in engineering, or equivalent experience
A strong candidate is a good match for several of the above items.
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.
Access to US export controlled software and/or technology may also be required.