Senior Cloud Infrastructure Security Engineer
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
Spire is hiring a Senior Cloud Infrastructure Security Engineer to implement foundational state of the art security best practices, tooling, automation, and infrastructure to achieve comprehensive logging, monitoring, and alerting. You will be implementing modern identity and access management models, building security by default into our CI/CD pipelines, and serving as a subject matter expert (read: leet at Googling things) across our diverse engineering organization.
Act as an expert resource managing our hybrid cloud and on-premise infrastructure, and working across multiple different business units to establish a standard secure configuration, ultimately helping to shape and implement the Spire Security Program.
Our team’s approach is centered around managing risk and achieving compliance through automation rather than procedures, and through security tooling rather than by security decrees. You’ll navigate and actualize industry standard security controls considering both security and engineering velocity, and help guide teams through software architecture and implementation, operational concerns, and documentation.
We are looking for someone who’s excited about building security, data, space, and likes to move fast, iterate quickly, and work with small, global autonomous teams of highly capable people that care deeply about what they do.
The role is global in scope and will work in a hybrid/office environment, based in San Francisco/Boulder/Washington DC location.
Responsibilities of Your Role
- Integrate security technologies and best practices into everything built at Spire, from infrastructure and automation to containers and satellite ground stations
- Help shape a high-speed security strategy based on velocity and efficiency-oriented DevSecOps
- Partner with our Infrastructure and IT teams for cross-group initiatives and establish a uniform security-first culture
- Partner with developers to help shape and implement their application roadmaps, ensuring that security is baked in from the start
- Act as hands on expert resource throughout design, code review, and implementation of security systems across the engineering organization
- Design and implement security controls and user-friendly enforcement and guardrails
- 5+ years experience in Infrastructure engineering/DevSecOps and/or Cloud Security
- Strong experience and confidence with AWS, including networking, access control, and security native services
- Familiarity with industry standard security frameworks such as ISO 27001 and NIST 800-171
- Deep understanding of cloud infrastructure and security, both conceptually and hands-on
- Self-starter with ability to work autonomously
- Excellent communication skills
- Computer science degree or equivalent work
Preferred Qualifications (Nice to have:)
- Demonstrated history and willingness to solve security problems
- Hands-on infrastructure as code and configuration management level (i.e. Terraform, Ansible) experience
- Working knowledge of tooling such as Kubernetes, Terraform, Vault, or Ansible
- Hands-on experience with container security including profiling containers and implementing AppArmor, Falco, and similar tooling
- Proven experience implementing security controls in a previous role
- Scripting experience using either bash, python, or golang
- Highly detail-oriented and completeness driven
- Comfortable with iterating and re-evaluating projects and plans as needs evolve
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills, and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.