Mechanical Design Lead
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
As the Mechanical Design Lead within the Mechanical Engineering Department, you will be ultimately responsible for the mechanical design of spacecraft layout, subsystems, and mechanisms. You will lead a team of 5+ mechanical engineers and will be intimately involved in vehicle design, test equipment design, satellite assembly, and mechanical environmental testing.
The role will include a combination of technical analysis tasks, development of standards, tools and best-practices, as well as planning, coaching and line management of direct reports.
Scope of the role:
• Line management and coaching of direct reports
• Peer reviews of technical reports, calculation sheets, and drawings
• Develop tools, standards, and process that will improve the efficiency and quality of Spire’s satellites
• Task planning, resource planning, and capacity forecasting
• Supporting ongoing recruitment and scaling of the team
• Mechanical design of spacecraft components
• Preparation of detailed system documentation
Basic Qualifications / Experience:
• Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent course or work experience
• Aerospace experience
• Mechanical design using Solidworks
• Minimum 5yr experience in a similar role
• Leadership experience (ie. Technical Management, People Management, Project Management)
• Excellent written and verbal communication
Preferred Qualifications / Experience:
• Environmental testing (vibration, thermal, thermal-vacuum)
• Solidworks Simulation or Ansys Mechanical experience
• Spacecraft Thermal Design principle
• Mechanical inspection techniques
• Electronics theory (communication interfaces, PCB layout principles)
• Harness design and drafting
• Basic software skills (C, python, scripting)
Please note that our application process includes a challenge. Our motto is 'show me the data,' so if you make it to the challenge round, you'll have time to give us your best work on a problem that lets you put your skills on display or showcase your existing portfolio.
Access to US export controlled software and/or technology may be required.
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.