Sr. Director, HR & Workplace Experience
Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, and offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) and select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
As our Senior Director of HR and Workplace Experience, you will be responsible for setting, enforcing, and evaluating HR policies, procedures, and best practices, and identifying and implementing long-term strategic talent management plans. We are looking for a leader who is both strategic and hands-on to define and execute the HR strategy. You will further build out the HR function for efficiency and effectiveness to accelerate Betterment’s business by enabling people and teams to do their best work. Reporting to the Chief People Officer, you will champion our values and develop, launch, and embed programs to support all employees to deliver on their ambitious goals across our NYC based and distributed populations. You'll identify gaps in current practices and develop high impact programs and interventions, whilst adopting an employee-centric approach when addressing key moments that matter to employees through the employee lifecycle.
This role is based out of our NYC office. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterment’s total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $ $210,000-$220,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, and a 401(k) offering with employer match as well as flexible PTO policy. This job is eligible for variable compensation in the form of a discretionary company incentive bonus.
A day in the life
- Build highly scalable processes through the employee lifecycle, including overseeing and leading the bi-annual performance review process, the annual engagement survey and action planning process while achieving ambitious engagement goals, and monitor progress and changes to keep senior leadership team informed of organizational health
- Identify key performance indicators for the human resources and workplace experience function and assess organization’s success and market competitiveness based on these metrics
- Enable Betterment’s employer value proposition and create actionable steps to position us as a top employer through people-centric best practices and promote employee engagement
- Provide both strategic and functional expertise, thought leadership and coaching as an active member of the People Leadership Team
- Leverage people data and analytics to ensure data-driven decision-making, incorporating feedback from engagement surveys, 1:1s, exit interviews, etc., creating effective people programs
- Develop an innovative and inclusive employee experience strategy for a scaling organization, enabling a thoughtful practice to meet department needs
- Identify risks and opportunities through the lens of the People community and make appropriate recommendations as to further the growth of the company
What we’re looking for
- Substantial knowledge of progressive HRBP leadership experience and employment laws and regulation
- Demonstrated success translating the vision, purpose, and strategy of the business to design and implement a relevant and meaningful employee life cycle
- Experience building employee engagement in a distributed workforce across offices, as well as fully remote employees, having extensive experience in people development, coaching, and mentoring
- Ability to use People reporting & analytics in generating insights and presenting findings back to the business, as well as tracking and disseminating key data
- Demonstrated success in furthering company DEIB strategy and implementing initiatives that have resulted in measurable impact on employee engagement & retention
- Experience building successful people programs and initiatives, consensus, and comfortable having both strategic and tactical responsibilities
- Strong planning & project management skills centralized around employee development, stakeholder management, business acumen, and partnership; experience with forecasting, adhering to budgets and managing costs
- Expertise in anticipating issues across the organization and recognizing opportunities and proactively developing initiatives
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, and ourselves—and we won’t stop until we reach them. We don’t just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes and strive to uphold our supportive and inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; STD and LTD benefits, including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; and generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 6 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own and lead change and affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS™️
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
We’ll take a few weeks to review all applications. If we’d like to spend more time with you, we’ll reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, and our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
CPRA Language - CA Applicants ONLY
For jobs based out of our NYC HQ, we require in office attendance Tuesday through Thursday, weekly.
Something looks off?