Director of Engineering, Custody & Trading
Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, and offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) and select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
We are looking for a highly skilled and experienced Director of Engineering to lead our Custody & Trading organization. As the Director of Engineering, you will work closely with cross-functional teams including Product Management, Design, Operations, Advice & Investing to ensure the platform is built to the highest standards and delivers exceptional customer experiences.
Custody & Trading is the core of the Betterment platform. On any given day, we need to securely move millions of dollars through the Betterment system. At the same time, every transaction must flow through a complicated series of risk checks to ensure strict regulatory compliance. Every ounce of efficiency and intelligence we pour into this system translates into more value for our customers.
The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of the financial industry, custody and trading platforms, as well as experience managing and leading Engineering teams in a complex, fast-paced environment. They must also have a strong technical background, excellent leadership and communication skills, and be able to work collaboratively across multiple teams and disciplines.
This role reports to the VP of Engineering and is based out of our NYC office. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterment’s total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $230,000 - $260,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, life and AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance, EAP, commuter and parking benefits FSA/HSA, and 401(k) with employer match as well as a flexible PTO policy. This job may also be eligible for variable compensation in the form of a company incentive bonus.
A day in the life
- Own the company’s vision and execution for all aspects of our Custody and Trading platforms
- Optimize the organization to seize the opportunity for top line business growth
- Steer the technical vision of the Custody & Trading platforms in partnership with senior ICs and non-technical stakeholders
- Lead and mentor teams of Engineers directly and indirectly through their managers
- Build and maintain effective partnerships within and beyond the Engineering organization
- Champion initiatives that are crucial to the long term health of the Engineering organization as a whole
- Strengthen our Engineering brand as a great destination for technologists who care deeply about living our mission of making people’s lives better
- Inspire and maintain a strong, equitable Engineering culture founded on transparency, inclusivity, mentorship, and collaboration
What we’re looking for
- A strong technical background, including experience with backend systems, databases, distributed systems, and cloud technologies
- A proven track record of building and delivering complex, high-quality software products
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams
- Experience hiring and nurturing great Engineering talent including individual contributors and managers
- Experience working closely with Product and other business functions to understand customer needs and balance priorities with Engineering needs
- Commitment to and a track record of supporting and growing diverse, equitable, and inclusive teams
Bonus points if you have
- Experience working in a heavily regulated environment where legal and compliance considerations are a prerequisite to shipping products
- Experience in the fintech industry, particularly building custody and trading platforms
- Knowledge of trading algorithms, order books, and market data feeds
- Familiarity with security and compliance regulations in the financial industry
- Experience with blockchain technology and cryptocurrency trading platforms
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, and ourselves—and we won’t stop until we reach them. We don’t just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes and strive to uphold our supportive and inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; STD and LTD benefits, including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; and generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 6 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own and lead change and affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS™️
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
We’ll take a few weeks to review all applications. If we’d like to spend more time with you, we’ll reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, and our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
CPRA Language - CA Applicants ONLY
For jobs based out of our NYC HQ, we require in office attendance Tuesday through Thursday, weekly.
Something looks off?