Manager, Client Success
Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, and offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) and select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
Betterment at Work is looking for an experienced Client Success leader who will transform our named client-facing function into strategic client partners with a keen eye for mitigating risk and expanding revenue.
Reporting into the Senior Director, B2B Client Experience, the Betterment at Work Manager, Client Success will be responsible for building out a strategic function focused on relationship building, thought leadership, retention, and upsell/cross-sell. This role will lead our team who manage our largest plans thus instilling strong practices around retention, measuring client sentiment, and embedding Betterment products is of the utmost importance.
We are looking for someone with high growth experience who is ready to build and iterate on existing practices, structures, tooling, and processes. You should be a change agent who can motivate the team to consistently deliver exceptional client service. The ideal candidate will effectively liaise with stakeholders within Betterment and at our client companies at all levels.
This role is based out of our NYC office. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterment’s total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $155,000 - $170,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, and a 401(k) offering with employer match as well as flexible PTO policy. This job is eligible for variable compensation in the form of a discretionary company incentive bonus.
A day in the life
- Leading a team of ~4 Client Success Managers who own the relationship with our largest 401k plans.
- Develop, implement, measure, and iterate on Client Success frameworks to: keep retention and client engagement high, ensure we have the right touchpoints to consistently add value.
- Identify ways to expand client relationships and insert new Betterment products within the client’s lifecycle.
- Coach, train, and mentor the team of Client Success Managers to uplevel their strategic skillset to ensure our interactions resonate across various levels of client contacts.
- Monitor at-risk clients, develop retention playbooks and strategies to keep our largest clients happy and with Betterment for the long-term.
- Develop relationships with key clients and serve as an executive sponsor to their plan ensuring their success with Betterment.
- Develop the first ever Client Success compensation philosophy to drive the right behaviors within the team.
- Cross-functionally collaborate and advocate for the needs of your Client Success team.
- Leverage data and customer insights to influence across the business for your team’s needs.
- Drive continuous improvement through regular review of processes, policies, tooling, and procedures.
- Ensure the client’s needs, priorities, and feedback are threaded throughout the Betterment at Work organization so we’re consistently operating in a “client first” mentality.
What we’re looking for
- 5+ years of leadership experience in B2B Client Success, or equivalent client-facing roles
- Demonstrated ability to build out a Client Success function, motivate, and influence change
- FinTech, 401k, or comparable experience required
- Lead coaching, training, and enablement for Client Success team to exceed performance goals — strong talent development and cross-functional communication skills
- Experience in high-growth SaaS, SMB and Mid-Market clients, with a focus on retention and upsell
- History of improving processes, methodologies, programs or frameworks that increased team performance
- Confidence in presenting strategy, insights, achievements, and quarterly progress updates to senior stakeholders in a compelling manner
- Experience in Salesforce required
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, and ourselves—and we won’t stop until we reach them. We don’t just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes and strive to uphold our supportive and inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; STD and LTD benefits, including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; and generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 6 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own and lead change and affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS™️
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
We’ll take a few weeks to review all applications. If we’d like to spend more time with you, we’ll reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, and our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment participates in E-Verify. We will provide the Social Security Administration, and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security, with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. Please note that we do not use this information to pre-screen job applicants.
E-Verify Notice (Spanish)
Right to Work Notice
Right to Work Notice (Spanish)
CPRA Language - CA Applicants ONLY
For jobs based out of our NYC HQ, we require in office attendance Tuesday through Thursday, weekly.