Marketing Compliance Manager
Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, and offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) and select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
Betterment’s Marketing team is responsible for introducing our prospects and customers to the financial products that make their lives better. As a regulated entity and a fiduciary, we take our marketing supervision and compliance requirements seriously, aiming to develop compelling messaging that complies with our marketing policies and procedures. To that end, we’re expanding the marketing team to include an embedded marketing supervision professional.
We’re looking for a creatively driven, operationally minded marketer or supervision/compliance professional to act as champion for high quality, compliant marketing copy and creative. This person would partner with Betterment’s marketing stakeholders, creative and copy teams, and Legal and Compliance Department to provide ongoing review of marketing assets, helping to maximize creative messaging within the bounds of regulatory requirements.
As our Manager, Registered Marketing Principal, you will be tackling the challenge of streamlining and optimizing our marketing supervision and compliance workflows to drive faster execution and go-to-market. You’ll embed in our creative process, create repeatable best practices, and help the marketing team keep up with changing guidance from the SEC, FINRA, other regulatory bodies, and our Legal and Compliance teams. Your goal will be to support the marketing team, both B2C and B2B, in a phase of aggressive growth.
This new position is a unique opportunity to design, improve, and evolve our marketing supervision practice.
This role is based out of our NYC office. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterment’s total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $110,000 - $125,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, life and AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance, EAP, commuter and parking benefits FSA/HSA, and 401(k) with employer match as well as a flexible PTO policy. This job may also be eligible for variable compensation in the form of a company incentive bonus. For jobs based out of our NYC HQ, we require in office attendance Tuesday through Thursday, weekly.
A day in the life
- Embed with our marketing and creative teams, providing guidance to product marketing, engagement specialists, copywriters, and designers on how to meet various marketing requirements in our policies and procedures, such as claim substantiation, disclosures, recordkeeping, and more.
- Partner closely with creative and product marketing to review, provide guidance on, and help craft compelling messages, brainstorming to find opportunities to make our marketing assets break through in a compliant way.
- Apply known/approved language and ideas to improve efficiency and speed to market, driving excellence across lines of business and marketing channels.
- Maintain, design, and implement new processes to enable faster, more efficient compliance review & approvals.
- Train marketing team members in best practices, processes, and tooling usage.
- Stay up to date on our regulatory landscape and all regulatory changes and marketing policies implemented by our Compliance Department.
What we’re looking for
- 5+ years of experience in marketing or marketing compliance for highly regulated businesses/industries.
- Direct experience crafting and/or reviewing marketing materials in highly regulated industries.
- Ability to review and provide feedback on marketing collateral, with a view towards maintaining compliance while offering guidance on options, alternatives, and creative ways to reframe marketing copy and designs.
- Experience developing, maintaining, and optimizing compliance workflows and tooling while balancing speed, efficiency, and regulatory requirements.
- Experience working in a high-growth, fast-paced environment.
- An excellent communicator capable of driving strong cross-functional collaboration and effective management of senior stakeholders.
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Candidates with FINRA Securities Industry Essentials, Series 7, & Series 24 preferred or required upon hiring.
- Bonus points if you:
- Have experience in copywriting, creative writing, journalism, or similar fields – if this is you, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Have a strong grasp of quality copywriting and brand design best practices.
- Have in-house experience at a startup or high growth company.
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, and ourselves—and we won’t stop until we reach them. We don’t just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes and strive to uphold our supportive and inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; STD and LTD benefits, including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; and generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 7 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own and lead change and affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS™️
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
We’ll take a few weeks to review all applications. If we’d like to spend more time with you, we’ll reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, and our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment participates in E-Verify. We will provide the Social Security Administration, and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security, with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. Please note that we do not use this information to pre-screen job applicants.
E-Verify Notice (Spanish)
Right to Work Notice
Right to Work Notice (Spanish)
CPRA Language - CA Applicants ONLY