Sr. Engineering Manager - Developer Experience
Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, and offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) and select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
As a Senior Engineering Manager on the Betterment SRE team’s Developer Experience squad, you’ll collaborate closely with engineering teams across the company as your squad guides an engineer’s journey from commit to production, empowering developers with a collection of development tools, streamlined workflows, and fast and efficient feedback loops.
You’ll develop and own a mission-aligned roadmap and manage its execution with your team. You’ll also partner with engineers on your team and beyond to identify and advocate for work that will allow our engineers to continue executing at a high level. You’ll play a crucial role in balancing delivery of new capabilities alongside system stability and scale, all while helping mentor and grow a team of amazing engineers.
At Betterment, our Site Reliability Engineering squads empower and enable the entire engineering organization through a depth of experience in driving the engineering standards of the organization. They influence and shape a technical future that’s qualitatively better than our status quo. Our SRE squads work closely with product teams to deliver infrastructure and tooling that enables us to deliver value to Betterment's customers and clients. Members of this team have a love for solving interesting technical challenges and improving the lives of our developers in ways that move our engineering organization and the business forward. You’ll be a part of a team that’s tackling difficult questions of scale, architecture, and interaction.
This role is based out of our NYC office. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterment’s total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $200,000 - $225,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, life and AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance, EAP, commuter and parking benefits FSA/HSA, and 401(k) with employer match as well as a flexible PTO policy. This job may also be eligible for variable compensation in the form of a company incentive bonus. For jobs based out of our NYC HQ, we require in office attendance Tuesday through Thursday, weekly.
A day in the life
- Oversee the development of semantically rich abstractions for every aspect of the development process, making it easier for our developers to commit, test, build, deploy, and observe code.
- Build and maintain frameworks, tools, and infrastructure that enable our engineering teams to run faster and build better.
- Lead and mentor engineers on Betterment's senior-leaning SRE team.
- Establish strong lines of communication with stakeholders to understand and deeply support the needs of the engineering teams building products across all business lines and divisions of Betterment.
- Inspire and maintain a strong, equitable engineering culture founded on transparency, inclusivity, mentorship, and collaboration.
- Continuously innovate and seek out ways to meet the near- and long-term strategic needs of our complex org.
What we’re looking for
- Expertise in software development toolchains and environments, CI/CD pipelines, SLIs/SLOs, and Observability.
- Experience with hands-on managing, mentoring, and inspiring a team of talented engineers, including senior engineers. Demonstrated success as a true player-coach is a must.
- Experience building important, high production-value software where quality and correctness matters while preserving a nimble, fluid, highly productive culture and workflow.
- Experience leading execution of large team projects and execution of smaller concurrent projects in partnership with senior engineers.
- A real passion for software engineering and improving the developer experience.
- Experience collaborating with other engineering teams, product managers, subject matter experts, and non-technical stakeholders.
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, and ourselves—and we won’t stop until we reach them. We don’t just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes and strive to uphold our supportive and inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; STD and LTD benefits, including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; and generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 7 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own and lead change and affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS™️
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
We’ll take a few weeks to review all applications. If we’d like to spend more time with you, we’ll reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, and our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment participates in E-Verify. We will provide the Social Security Administration, and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security, with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. Please note that we do not use this information to pre-screen job applicants.
E-Verify Notice (Spanish)
Right to Work Notice
Right to Work Notice (Spanish)
CPRA Language - CA Applicants ONLY